Girls Write Out
Friday, February 11, 2011
First of all, I'd like you ladies to be thinking about some of the things your mother did for you as you were growing up that made you what you are today, because I'd like for you to share if you care to.

Mel and I sang in the choir for a funeral at our church on Tuesday this week. The deceased was a wonderful woman who had sung in our choir right beside me for years. There were a lot of tears, but there was also laughter. Our pastor loves to liven things up with humor, and because this was a Christian ceremony for a strong Christian lady, we were free to laugh out loud, because we knew she might just be laughing with us in heaven.

Our friend, Phyllis, left a legacy of strong faith, so that her children are all believers. Her youngest daughter is our church pianist who serves God at every opportunity. One of her two sons is a minister who works with Mel at the hospital in the position of hospital clergy. Her other son helps support a mission in Haiti, and her other daughter is a sweet and kind person. Children and grandchildren told stories about Phyllis, about how she read the Bible, sometimes silently, sometimes aloud. They will look back on their days with her and feel joy that they were raised by this woman.

As my mother declines in health and mental acuity and I watch her slowly slip from me, I think of the heritage she has left me. Independence, for one. Mom would take off driving to Arizona or California at the drop of a hat. She loved to travel, and the hardships never bothered her. She even hiked part of the Grand Canyon with me once. She taught me that it's okay to be different, but not to judge others who aren't like me. She taught me, finally, not to fear snakes, because she wasn't afraid of them. She taught me the power of a mother's love that tends to come out even when she is crotchety and isn't thinking clearly and can no longer remember my birthday, or even what day of the week it is, or what year it is. Last she knew, we were in the 1970s. And yet, she would do anything for her daughter.

Please share. What has your mother taught you that will last through your life?

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 2:16 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

My mom is the one who led me to the Lord. She taught me a lot of other things too, but you can't really top that one.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

No, you can't, Denise.
My mother wasn't raised in a Christian family, but when she was carrying me she wanted me to be in church, so that's when she started going. She didn't stop until we moved from California and she got burned-out on a small, family run church that would never let her feel like part of the church. She goes to church with me now...when I'm well enough to sit through an hour of service.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger grammajlb said...

Mother's message

As I listened to Phyllis's children the other day, my thoughts did not turn to my mother, but rather, what could my children say about myself. What kind of legacy would I be leaving them.
I was a stay-at-home mom until the all were in school. I made sure they had chores and consequences if they were not done. I would not let them go to a store without me being with them. I called the local policeman if they didn't return at curfew times---that happened only one time...when they knew I would follow through with a threat. I made sure they were in a church of some sort and we were involved with activities that didn't involve themselves, always a project to share with others. They were to do their homework and show me the results before bedtime. They were allowed only x amount of time for television or games per their year of age. Same with bedtime. They all 3 slept in the same bedroom, infact, a triple bunk that Dick special built for them. They weren't allowed to drive until they were 18 as we couldn't afford the extra insurance for them. They worked after school since they chose not to be in sporting activities. They were not allowed to go
to friend's home unless we knew the parents would be at home and were subject to be checked up on. And since Dick worked away from home all the time and was home only on the weekends, they had to help with more chores than most kids. But, I was the meanest mom in the world. They didn't have the extra money to go to the juke joint where a lot of kids hung out, but were allowed at the church teen center when it was open and we could provide refreshments for our turn there. They were in Scouts, 4-H, church choirs when there was one for the children. They were to help with Bible school when they grew too old for their own classes. They helped with a children's program at the park during the summer when they weren't playing ball themselves. But, I was a very mean mom....
They turned out okay. They were proud when they graduated from school with no demerits, they were happy that mom and dad were still married. They benefitted from family trips were took all the time. They had stories to share with cousins when we spent summers together. They knew their parents would back any good project they would come up with and there were many. But what would they say about their mom except that she was the meanest mom in the world.

Cheryl, I know this isn't what you are after, but that is for another time, I am just rambling while everyone else is still asleep. J.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

You were a wonderful mom, Judy. Mel was raised pretty much the same way, and I sure got a jewel for a husband. You trained up your children in the way that they should go. I believe that they will call you blessed. Thanks so much for that post.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Jackie S. said...

My Mom raised me in the church; led me to Christ and taught me to help others! She never complained about anything she did for me, and she always put others first. She had a hair salon until age 87 and picked up her customers who could no longer drive (and they got free perms if they had no money)!! She died of Alz. in 2004, and I greatly miss her!
Off subject...just read your love story in a blog that featured the magazine...loved it!!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Jackie, your mother sounds wonderful. Since I'm going through what you did, I'm more prone to consider my mother's past. She doesn't have Alzheimer's, but is having tiny strokes in her brain that will eventually take her. It helps to remember the good times, because she can't do that now.

Thanks for letting me know about the article. I was touched that our publisher would include us in the magazine.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Jennifair17 said...

My mother had a gentle nature. She touched many people with her kindness. She gave me that as well as showing me how to be independent. She accepted me as I am and let me make my own choices without judgment. She was always there when I needed her.

I miss her every day now that I do not have the ability to have her in my life physically. But her memory is also with me every day. She has been gone for almost two and a half years but she is still with me always.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Jennifer, she will always be with you. You'll notice things about yourself every so often, foods you eat that she taught you to like, your interactions with others. It's a good way to appreciate your own gifts by looking at what your mother gave you of herself, and how you reflect those gifts.
Thank you for your post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz