Girls Write Out
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Don't you just love sparkly things? Even when I'm out hiking, I'm always looking for crystals on the trail, or a flash of a bluebird's wings. Today I looked out the sunroom window to see what my kitty was chattering about, and I saw a bluebird, a rose finch and a goldfinch just outside in the bare trees. It was as if God had handed me a special gift to cheer me up. Nature's jewelry. Though I can't go out hiking right now, it seems God is bringing me the beauty of the hiking trail to enjoy.

I love beautiful things. I love to walk through a jewelry store just to look. Though I have a jewelry chest, I don't usually buy anything for myself. Most of my jewels are gifts from someone who loves me, especially Mel. After we got married, he started buying some piece of jewelry for me every month to celebrate our monthly anniversary. I had to stop him or our bedroom would be overrun by jewelry boxes. My mother will see a piece of jewelry and think of me and buy it for me. When I get together with my girlfriends from high school every year, we exchange gifts. Usually, one of the girls has been making jewelry that year, and I have some beautiful handmade pieces that I cherish.

Though very little of my collection is valuable in the eyes of a true jeweler, it's very precious to me. I can look at the earrings my mother bought me eighteen years ago when I was single and had to dress up for work. I can look at the freshwater pearl earrings and necklace Mel bought me on our honeymoon, or I can look at the necklace and earring set my girlfriend gave me at our last high school retreat. I even have older pieces that belonged to my mother when I was growing up--and one locket my mother gave to me that belonged to my grandmother. Inside is a tiny picture of my grandmother on one side and my mom on the other. I have a pendant that is a tiny gold replica of the Christy award Mel and I won several years ago, and that Mel had a girlfriend--who is a jeweler--make especially for me. Mel has a matching tie tack.

My jewelry case contains something far more valuable than the small amounts of gold, silver and gems, it contains sweet memories.

Would you share some of your memories with us? Do you have a custom made wedding ring--like mine is? Or a locket or ring, watch or necklace that holds a special memory for you? What's in your jewelry case?

Labels: , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 10:35 PM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I have a round mirrored velvet box that contains my most-prized jewels--gifts from my boys. They spent their hard-earned money on little trinkets and presented them to me with such eager looks of anticipation. Those pieces aren't valuable to anyone but me.

When Hubby and I were dating, he bought me jewelry that I still treasure 23 years later! But my favorite piece of jewelry is my wedding ring set. :)

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

ONe locket I have (had) was my adopted grandmother's from when she was a little girl (born in 1885). It was covered with seed pearls on the front and hand engraved on the back with her initials, A.S. (Anna Stephens)

In 2009, I found my 5 birth sisters. After getting together with them, and being instant true sisters (amazing story) I gave that locket to one of my great nieces whose initials are ... you guessed it A.S. (Anna S.)

It was as if that tied my two families together. God is so good!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I love my wedding ring set, too, Lisa. I wear a band when I'm doing work so I don't mess up the setting, but it's very precious to me because Mel's has matching heart-shaped rubies. As for the jewels from your boys, those are treasures forever.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

And your great niece will always have that treasure to remind her of you, Ane. Men wonder sometimes why we love jewels. I don't wear them much, but they are such a treasure trove of memories.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

I was so excited to see this post :) I LOVE jewelry & gemstones. My brother always made fun of my for watching Jewelry Television, lol!
My favorite is my tanzanite gemstone that my parents gave me when I finished high school. I had a lot of health struggles in HS & made it hard to get through school. I love seeing the rare little stone & the depth of it's blue thinking about what I've overcome! They also gave me a gemstone parcel that is soo fun to go through

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Those are gorgeous, Tonya. I love tanzanite! The stone means a lot to me because I've been told it's a fragile stone, something to protect and take good care of. Kind of like us, especially when we're sick.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

Its a soft stone, that's why you rarely see tanzanite in rings. Its too breakable.
It is also a generational gemstone meaning once the mining is up, that's all you get. I think I heard something about the tanzanite government putting regulations on what is exported making it even rarer

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger jel said...

I don't have a jewelry box,
that's cause I don't wear jewelry,

I do have a pocket watch, with a train on the cover, I saw it one day in the store, and it reminded me of my dad's fav song
(THE LONG BLACK TRAIN)
so when i look at the watch , I think of my dad.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I hope someone finds more tanzanite, Tonya. It's so beautiful. Alexandrite is the only gem that even comes close.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I bet it's a beautiful watch, jel. I have some things that remind me of my father, too.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Anna Bella said...

I have a jewlery box, but it doesn't just contain jewlery. I have a beautiful seed, a big one about the size of a pebble, that was given to me by my babysitter and church leader Ms. Jessie. The fruit was peeled off when an elephant ate it, then some natives found it and carved a scene of an elephant eating fruit off a tree. Finally Ms. Jessie some how got a hold of it and gave it to me. Its on a sting with a key chain loop on top and it has become one of my favorite christmas tree ornaments.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Anna Bella, that's an amazing piece of art. No wonder it's a prized possession.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz