Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
If you follow publishing at all, you probably see authors moving around from house to house all the time. But sometimes magic happens both with love and with business relationships, and authors choose to stay with a publisher long term. That's where I am now. I've been at Nelson 9 years this year. :)

Allen Arnold, fiction publisher at Thomas Nelson, invited me down to speak at the sales conference last week. On Friday Dave and I took candy to the staff at Thomas Nelson. It was like visiting family after a long time away. Love them so much! Then we had lunch with Mike and Gail Hyatt as well as Ami and Allen from my fiction team. I hadn't seen Mike and Gail in forever so we could have talked for hours (well, okay, we DID talk for hours. But we could have spent even more time!) We took Allen hot sauce that was supposed to make him sweat, but he just chowed down on it like it was candy. Sheesh, what a disappointment! :)

Dave and I helped Ami with some things at her house over the weekend like wallpaper removal and painting. Dave will do most things for most people but he hates to paint so it meant a lot that he painted for her. :)

Then Monday was the sales conference. What can I say about it? I got to see our terrific sales staff and share my passion for story. I got to meet book buyers and reps. But the best thing is that I was with my family. Truly, they are like my own flesh and blood. Brothers and sisters. And coming home, I realized magic really can happen even with business dealings. From my publisher to my editor, cover design to marketing and sales and to everything in between, Thomas Nelson has been such a blessing to me. I love them so much!

I'm curious. When you read a book, do you notice who the publisher is? Do you read the acknowledgements in the back?

Labels: , , , ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 5:11 AM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

I think writers pay more attention to the publisher than the average reader, but I wouldn't be able to tell you who published most of the books I own. As for the acknowledgements, they just make me yawn. I only read them if the author gets creative. "I would like to give special thanks to my cat Sparky for not coughing up a hairball while I was working on this book."

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Laughing, Timothy! :) I don't have a cat anymore so I guess that leaves out anything creative. LOL

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I guess because I know a lot of writers these days I love to read the acknowledgments before I start the book. I like to know the "team" of people that made the book what it is and I love to see who the author's friends are. As far as publishers I don't pay too much attention except to keep track of what editors are at that publishing house.

So happy for your success at Nelson and glad they see what a gem you are! :)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

They are a special bunch of people! I feel blessed to know them also.

I always notice the imprint and read the acknowledgments, but then, I'm a writer.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

As a reader, when I am encouraged to read a new author, I always check to see who the publisher is. If it's a publisher who has produced quality work in the past, then I might try a new author. Now, with Kindle, when there's a book for free for a week, I may download that if it looks good, then if it turns out not to be as good as I'd hoped, I can delete it without wasting time or money. I also hold the publisher to a higher standard, however. If they begin churning out books I feel are poorly written, I lose faith in that publisher and am less likely to buy from them.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a book from "cover to cover", literally. So, yes, I read it all!

Sarah

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I always read the acknowledgements. More often now, I check who the publisher is. But before I started writing, I never looked at that.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

With the free Kindle downloads, I only download from known authors or if it's someone unknown to me, from publishers I respect or know such as Thomas Nelson.

I read cover-to-cover, including dedications, publication date, acknowledgements, study questions, etc.

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Rel said...

Okay, call me strange but the first thing I do when I get a new book is read the dedication and acknowledgments! I am encouraged reading about how others have cared/shared/encouraged/inspired a writer and made a difference to them. That is what community is all about!

So it should come as no surprise that I also know who the publishers are! Name a CF book and I can probably rattle off the publisher - LOL! I guess I'm not much different to a sports fan who knows their stats :)

And for the record, I'm not a writer but I am a blogger/reviewer so I guess that makes a difference, too.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Tonya Kappes said...

I have to say I do notice the publisher only b/c I'm a writer. But if you ask my friends or family, they don't care. They only care if the book is good and they also love good covers.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

I absolutely notice the publisher. And I always read the acknowledgements!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I always read the acknowledgments myself. I always have, way before I was a writer. To me, it's a peek into the writer. LOL

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I always notice the publisher, it's one way I can tell if the book is safe for me to read or not. I have a lot of trust in my favorite publishing houses. I always read the acknowledgments too, I actually read all of them before I read the book.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Colleen, I actually found you via the hCG diet forum. When I clicked on your link, it was a wonderful surprise to find you are a Christ follower. No surprise now why all of the wonderful comments you have rec'd on those blogs for being so helpful! I will definitely have to check out some of your books now! God Bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz