Girls Write Out
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Last night on the Smithsonian Channel I watched a documentary about the Monkees. They were hot when I was in high school and I LOVED them. Almost as much as Mr. Spock and Star Trek. Almost. :)

I was struck by how much music transports us to another place and time. As I listened to snippets of those old songs, I wanted to run out and get a new pair of white go-go boots. LOL I could almost taste the homemade cocoa fudge I used to make and eat when I'd watch it. I could almost feel the texture of our old sofa under me. I hadn't realized before last night how music could do that.

I was in love with Micky Dolenz. And let me just say, ahem, his voice sounds the same but he's changed a bit. But then I have too. The decades between when I was 16 and here where I'm 59 have gone by in the blink of an eye. I don't FEEL any different. But I look in the mirror and I sure am! But the documentary brought the 60s back in all its glory and tarnish.

The cool thing about the documentary was that it showed the behind the scenes stuff. I vaguely remember hearing that the Monkees didn't do their own music. As a teenager, I didn't care. I could tell they sang the songs. That was all that mattered to me. The guitar stuff was nice but I only cared about the boys. So seeing the real story about how the situation was all about ego--on both sides--was interesting to me. As I watched it, I thought about what Jesus tells us to do. To put others before ourselves. If even one side had done that, the situation would have been diffused.

We just got back from ICRS on Thursday night. Thomas Nelson was promoting a new non fiction title though we didn't see the book or what it was about for sure, but Dave snagged a wristband that read I'm Second, meaning God is first. Dave was quick to say, "No, I'm Third. The Bible says God, Others, then Self." Gotta love that guy. :) Anyway, that's so true. Our church has a mantra: Love God, Love People, Serve Both.

What about you? Were you a child of the 60s like me? Do you remember the hullabaloo about the Monkees (had to use that word since it's a 60s word too. LOL) Have you experienced a situation where if even one side had followed a godly pattern, the situation would have fixed itself?

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:22 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Tamera Alexander said...

Was great seeing you and Dave at ICRS, C! And yes! I loved the Monkees too. They were second only to Bobby Sherman . I even had a Monkees lunch box. Still do, in fact. It's somewhere in a box full of "memories" upstairs...

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

So great to see you too. Tam! I wish I still had my old Monkees stuff. The cool thing about the show was that it said the Monkees still sell. :)

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Dorothy said...

[BIG SIGH!] Davy Jones...what more can I say? I loved their music!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Most of my friends loved Davy too, Dorothy. :) I was in the minority with my devotion to Micky.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I was also a Davy fan. And I liked Bobby Sherman too. Remember the show about the brides that he was on? And Davy was on one of those family shows - I was thinking the Partridge Family at first, but it was the Brady Bunch I think. I don't recall the behind the scenes stuff.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I was never a Bobby Sherman fan. Sigh, so fun to think about those old days. :)

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Cindy W. said...

I have to say I was always the odd one out because everyone else loved Davy Jones...I'm with you Colleen, I loved Mickey Dolenz. I drew a picture of him in charcoal when I was 15 years old and gave it to my cousin just before she passed away with Cancer. She loved it and posted it on her wall.

I have to admit, I still have all the Monkee albums and I have all three of Bobby Sherman's albums. I met Bobby when he came into the television station I use to work at in California and he set up a time to come back to pose for pictures and sign autographs. All three albums are autographed. One of our employees was named Julie and when she came out to meet him, he dropped down on one knee and started singing "Julie, Julie, Julie do you love me?" She told him to shut up that she hated that song...then got embarrassed and ran back to the control booth. Sad. He was working as a First Responder with the EMS in Orange County, CA. I must admit he aged VERY well. Quite the cutie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz