Girls Write Out
Thursday, October 06, 2011




Good morning everyone. I’m Emily Rodmell, an associate editor with Love Inspired. I want to thank Cheryl for inviting me to come and share a great writing opportunity with you all. Cheryl was one of the first authors that I worked with 7 years ago when I started my career at Love Inspired as an assistant to her editor. Now I work with over 30 authors of my own, and I’m so glad that she and her husband Mel are now going to be writing for Love Inspired Historical. Love Inspired Historical is an inspirational historical romance line of books at Harlequin. We recently expanded our offerings from 2 books a month to 4 books a month. This expansion is good news for historical romance fans because it’s allowed us to take on new time periods and settings that we didn’t have room for before. It’s also great news for writers because we need double the amount of books than we did before.
So I’m here today to get the word out. If you’ve got a historical romance novel you’ve been dying to write, we’d love to see it. While some publishers are cutting back, we’re actively looking for both published and unpublished historical romance authors to join the ranks. We’re open to any setting or any time period prior to World War II. I especially enjoy out of the ordinary stories and settings. When I read the first chapter of Lacy Williams’ Marrying Miss Marshal in the Genesis contest and saw that the heroine was a town marshal in the Old West, I was hooked. It offered an unusual story with a woman in a unique job, and we’re happy to have it in the lineup. Some of my colleagues have bought books with female pilots in the war, missionaries in Africa and even a French Revolution story. And we still love the classics such as Westerns and Regencies, as well.
Submitting is easy. Check out our guidelines at http://www.harlequin.com/articlepage.html?articleId=1186&chapter=0 , and send something my way at 233 Broadway, Ste. 1001 NY, NY 10279. Or have your agent email me your submission. For published authors, we only require a proposal (synopsis and three chapters). For unpublished authors, we ask that you submit a query or proposal, but have a full manuscript ready to send in should we request it. If you have any questions at all about writing for Love Inspired Historical, feel free to ask. If you miss me today, you can also find me on Twitter @EmilyRodmell or on the Harlequin message boards, where I regularly answer questions: http://community.harlequin.com/forums/love-inspired/editors-corner-chat-emily-rodmell .


Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 9:00 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

What exciting news!! Thanks so much for visiting the blog, Emily! So nice to have you join us!!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Ramona Cecil said...

That is GREAT news, Emily! Especially since I have something I think would fit what you are looking for. Expect to see something from my agent, soon!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That's great news, Ramona! Emily will be checking in from time to time, so this is a great opportunity. I can tell you this publisher is great to work with. I'm working on one for them right now and greatly enjoying it.

Di, great to "hear" your cheery voice online. We've missed you so much. You're still in our prayers.

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me ladies. There is definitly lots of opportunity for writers in LIH, and I hope authors take advantage of it.

Emily Rodmell

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I agree with Emily. She works with a stable publisher, which is why I've worked with them for so many years. They know marketing, too, which will ensure more sales. Not only do they know how to market, they teach their writers how to market.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I love hearing about expansions in publishing!! Thanks for sharing Emily!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz