Girls Write Out
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Downton Abbey is back, and with it, inspiration for all who write. If you're not familiar with Downton Abbey, it's on Masterpiece and very much like "Upstairs, Downstairs." We know the goings-on in the great house for the servants and the masters and it's most entertaining.

It's such a great metaphor for how life is -- how there is the home life that is presented and then, the reality. The reality is people create a lot of their own drama. It reminds me of the first line in "Anna Karenina" which is "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

I notice when a family is happy, the media will do its utmost to tear that apart. Case in point: Joel Osteen was on Oprah's new show on the OWN network. Joel is a generally happy person. The kind of person who is so happy, you almost don't believe it, but I think that's who he is. Naturally, Oprah had to bring up Scripture and what he thinks about gay people.

In the end, his hour-long interview and the discussion on running the biggest church in the world is curtailed by his view of what Scripture says. It's really hard to have an opinion that doesn't gel with society's. Modern-day McCarthyism. But what struck me about the interview is that we as a society, really hate to see a happy family. And what a terrible crisis that is for our country. The desire to tear others down is a natural, sinful instinct and how sad for us.

Drama is great in fiction, but wouldn't it be nice if we could leave it there instead of tear others apart? I vote that we all watch "Downton Abbey" instead!

Labels: , , , ,

Kristin  
posted at 11:48 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

Personally, I don't think the questions Joel Osteen gets asked have anything to do with how happy he seems to be. It's just so much fun to watch him squirm and listen to all the ways he comes up with to say nothing at all. But I must say that after watching a clip of the interview, that is the best interview I've ever seen him do.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Well, Oprah is a great interviewer. She really is. There's a reason that she rose to the top in her field. She knows how to ask hard questions without making people feel trapped.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Kaylee Baldwin said...

I just had a friend tell me about this movie today. I'll have to look it up. It looks really interesting.

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Downton Abbey! I love this mini-series! I agree...let's all just watch Downton Abbey. Sigh...it's so good!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger jel said...

i tryed to watch it last night but couldn't get into it. but liked the show after it, Sherlock Homes
now that was good :)

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Diane Martin said...

I am hooked! I hadn't even heard of this show until another author mentioned it about a week ago, and then with your post, I just had to check it out. I LOVE it! The zingy one-liners from Maggie Smith's character make me laugh out loud!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Just found this show. Watched it online and loved it!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

jel, it would be hard to get into if you hadn't seen last season's. This one is not as good, but because you're so invested in the characters, you have to watch. I just love it, but then I've always loved Masterpiece. My son came in and saw the war parts and got excited that I was watching something different for me, and I told him, "It will go back to my English soap opera soon." LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz