Girls Write Out
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
For the last year (at least) my kids' schedule has really become more of a priority than writing.  I remember a long time ago when Lawana Blackwell (a personal favorite!) stopped writing because she had to devote more time to her teens.  I remember thinking, teens?  Aren't they more independent?  Because I had little kids and was clueless as to how much guidance and driving and activity teens are involved in during their lifetimes.

For me, it got to the point where I wanted a "real" job because that would be sacred on some level.  People wouldn't look at you hammering on the computer and think you were fooling around, they would identify work time as work time.

I also thought a "real" job would make my kids more independent -- as I was on my own from the time I was ten or so and had to fend for myself.  However, I've had just enough projects to keep me writing for now, and after a brief vacation in Hawaii, I believe it's time to start up my schedule again.  The one that says MOMMY IS WRITING -- GO AWAY!

I bought myself a new coffee cup to prove my commitment.  (Do you know not all iced coffee cups are created equally.  The ones at Starbucks have superior lids that don't take twenty minutes to get on right.)  This one is from a Kona Coffee shop on Kona that was FANTASTIC!  Today is my daughter's birthday, so I haven't started my schedule today (is it sounding like I'll start my diet on Monday?)  But when I was productive, I always had a schedule, and I think that's key.  A JOB makes it easier because I'm not here to listen to the needs, but ultimately, that's a boundary issue.

Where's Dr. Henry Cloud when you need him?  This coffee cup is a symbol of my commitment to get busy and finish the magical YA I'm writing and edit a book too risque for CBA (not really, but it's been overedited in my opinion and needs to be reworked to its original message.)  So say cheers with me, will you?  And I'm happy to hear any boundary tips you may have!


Kristin  
posted at 7:48 PM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 8:28 PM, Blogger freddikb said...

I hope the schedule works well for you. I have been writing for 15 years and just now started on an actual schedule. I was very surprised at how much more I wrote, and continue to write, when I set that schedule and stick to it.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

Write down you schedule and you goals. Keep it somewhere you can review it, maybe even mark them off as you meet your goals, and have little rewards every time you stick to it :)

I was thinking about the Boundaries books today. I've been thinking about a lot of things lately and yesterday I did something completely bold and uncharacteristic of me. I'm not sure what'll come
of it but i realized today it's a sign of creating boundaries.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Enigmama said...

Boundary description- Son:"MOM!" Me:"Are you bleeding?" = no blood no foul! I had 3 boys. They will test your commitment and try to get you involved in all the trivial things rather than learn how to work things out for them self. They remain good friends now that they are grown! You will find your own balance! God Bless!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I have 4 boys and a husband on an erratic schedule. Two of the boys moved out...one was back last night to do laundry. I seem to always be battling storms these days.

But I like the idea of boundaries and some sort of concrete evidence of them.

You are so right that the older your kids get, the more independent they get, the more it demands things from your system.

But I need that boundary thing. (Possibly a concrete bunker.)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Mary Marie Allen said...

The thing about boundaries is that it calls for a constant reappraisal of goals. Yesterday my goal was to connect with my Grandkids more than it was to write. I think that the link between goals and boundaries are important otherwise I feel bad for not connecting or bad for not writing. All that does is keep me from moving to the next item smoothly. The key for me is asking God, "What do you want me to do today?" (And then of course, doing it.)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

It's absolutely impossible for me to create at home. My dog (a 215 pound Mastiff, and yes, he continues to grow) doesn't understand that I'm working when he HAS to have a drink from the master bathtub faucet, and since my office is in a corner of said master bedroom, guess who is the faucet master?

But there's another reason I figured out. I'm a true extrovert, meaning I recharge my batteries around people. And with those recharged batteries, I get creative.

So my "schedule" revolves around getting my 1st cup of coffee at home to start my blood pumping through my veins, and then getting my tush into the car and off to Starbucks. :)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

These are great pieces of advice. Thank you all! I've been in Utah for a wedding, so sorry I'm so late in responding!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Elle said...

Hey I totally love Lawanna B too!!!! And my peeps at church or anyone I've mentioned her haven't' heard of her. :(
I tried to look up her website but it hasn't been updated since 2008 - do you or anyone know if she is ok?

I had moved, no family and was teaching in a lonely country setting. Her books have been such a blessing in some very tough times so if there is anyone who knows if she is ok or if she will ever write again please let me know!! Thanks! And so good to know someone else loves her too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz