Girls Write Out
Friday, August 03, 2012



Most of us have dreamed about what we might do if we somehow inherited a fortune. I even began praying about our finances lately, and since a million dollars no longer seems to be a lot of money--especially judging by the national debt--I started praying for God to give us a billion dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a greedy person. I don't want a mansion for myself, nor do I necessarily want a new car. Mel's car is creeping toward the 200,000 mile mark, and mine is over a 100,000, but they're cars that were made to last, and we plan to drive them to the end of their lives. We have a home that is comfortable with plenty of room for us, our assistant, our four rescue cats, and even a place for family members to stay when they come this way. I hate the thought of moving, so I don't want to even think about that. I still have many reasons to want that billion dollars.

The reason I want a billion dollars:

Friends and family are in desperate need. Being a novelist, I've made hundreds of friends in the writing world. Attending a writers' conference is like attending a family reunion. Most of us speak the same language--yes, novelists are weird compared to the rest of the world, but we're quite loveable. Most novelists don't make enough money to live on, and you'd be surprised which ones do. But we don't have employers, a large number of us don't have insurance or any other benefits. We are constantly expected to provide meaningful stories, and do them within short time frames. People think novelists are wealthy. We aren't. Neither are editors. With the huge change in the publishing industry, many have fallen through the cracks, especially some of the highest quality editors in the business, because, unfortunately, too many new writers don't understand how vital editors are to the quality of their novels. At any rate, I have a lot of dear, dear friends who are struggling financially. And did you know that there really is a huge and ugly truth in the working world--age discrimination? Try getting a job when you're nearing sixty. Not only that, try keeping a job when you're nearing sixty. I couldn't help everyone I wanted to if I only inherited a million dollars. I want a billion.

Missouri Baptist Children's Home is losing support because people are out of work. This is one of my favorite charities because I'm a Baptist from Missouri. The Bible commands us to keep ourselves untainted from the world, and to help widows and orphans in their need. There are a lot of orphans out there, and they need to know about Jesus. They also need to be fed and clothed and loved. The more children who can be cared for by Christians who can tell them about Christ's love for them, the more loving adults we can bring up and move into the world desperately seeking the Truth. My calling is to share Christ.

My pastor deserves a raise for once. If we inherited a billion dollars, maybe that could come to pass.

We want to build a clinic. Mel has been an ER doc for over twenty years. The times have changed. He has changed. His dream since he was ten has been to spend time with his patients, help each patient find health, and not to be worked into an early grave. Unfortunately, if he continues at his present speed, none of his dreams will come true. We are in the process of drawing up plans for a clinic where he can hire a couple of employees, spend plenty of time with each patient and yet still be able to make a living, pay his employees and give them health insurance, and help his patients not just find the drugs that will help them, but find total healing. He needs equipment to do this, and medical equipment is very expensive. I want to help Mel see his dreams come true. 

This is what I would do if I had a billion dollars. But if I ever receive that money, you'll never know. No one will. I want to give money anonymously.

How about you? What would you do with a billion dollars?

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 12:19 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jasels said...

God bless you in your very unselfish dream. I join your prayer that all of these "needs" will be met according to His abundant supply.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thank you for joining me Jasels! I get so frustrated when I can't help everyone.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger grammajlb said...

One of the first things I would like to do is pay the fees for our out of county residents to have free use of our library and all its' great resources.
I would support the FFA chapters who do so much for our young people, who teach skills for whatever paths they might choose to be viable adults wherever they may end up living.
Selfishly, I would pay for all the research needed to help fibro patients get relief without drugs. And perhaps, most of all, I would help the lunch/breakfast programs in our schools so that every child has those hot meals every day.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger jel said...

it would be nice, but ya know uncle Sam would take his fair share

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Great ideas, Judy. So many things we could help with. I heard from one of the kids today that the new school they're building in our town has bullet proof glass in it. I couldn't help wondering how much that might have cost and how many kids it would have helped if we didn't have to worry about someone shooting into the school.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Actually, jel, we both know they'll take more than their FAIR share.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Jackie Smith said...

Great post, Cheryl! The Baptist children's home (GA) has always been a favorite charity of ours.
Joining you in prayer about these needs!
Blessings

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thank you Jackie. Those children need love and guidance, but that doesn't come cheaply.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

If I had a billion dollars I would first get my mom out of the nursing home and set her up with a private full time nurse and caretaker. After that, I'd make sure my kids had their needs met - a home with no debt, reliable transportation. Enough to be comfortable, but still have goals to work toward. I'd do all the repairs needed on our home so we could stay in it until we pass on. Then I would buy a yarn shop so I would have all the yarn I need to make items for charity, which would keep me busy in my golden years and help others too. Would your hubby like to set up his hospital here cos I would totally help pay for that! One of the things I would purchase for this hospital would be an open MRI machine. I'm sure there are many other things too, but that's off the top of my head. :-)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Great ideas, Sandie! Mel would love to have an open MRI machine, but there are tons of things he would like, along with the personnel to run them, he'd like to take over the whole strip mall where he's renting the two offices for the clinic, and be able to treat patients for all their physical needs. However, though we may do some pro boon work, our patients will be required to pay for their treatments. We just wouldn't eat them alive. But those who don't pay for their own care just take it, and us, for granted. That's been an experience we don't want to repeat.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Pam said...

These are great uses of the money. I've given a lot of thought to what I would do if I suddenly received several million dollars (hadn't thought of asking for a billion!). After paying the mortgage off and doing some necessary home repairs, I'd support some children and other projects through Nazarene Compassionate Ministries. There are wells in Africa to be dug so villagers have water without having to trek miles to a river, schools, orphanages, Christian radio stations, and homeless shelters to support. I imagine I would think of more, besides giving to my local church. We have a benevolent fund that I would also want to donate to regularly. I love the idea of doing all this anonymously. I've struggled financially and have been the recipient of many anonymous gifts through the years. I'd love to be able to give back to help others.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Absolutely, Pam. You've got a good list going. One of the worst things a person can do, both for herself or the recipient, is make a big deal about the gift. That takes all the fun out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz