Girls Write Out
Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Squirrel

I was at my publisher's last week for meetings. Over lunch on Monday we went out with my friends at Tommy Nelson. We got on a discussion of the TV reality show, Duck Dynasty. The girls started talking about the things the characters on the eat. They mentioned squirrel. Wait, squirrel is a normal thing to eat. At least it is in my neck of the woods. After much discussion (and shuddering on the part of the Tommy Nelson girls!) I realized what I thought was normal might not be normal at all.

My dad is a big hunter. I grew up on squirrel, rabbit, frog legs, and turtle soup. Every Thanksgiving you could count on my dad and brothers going rabbit hunting. My mom is really good at cooking all these things too, so I thought I'd share how to cook squirrel. It's really very good to. It tastes like a chicken thigh. My sister-in-law was here. She lives in AZ so the thought of it was very foreign to her, but she was game to try it. And she liked it. "Tastes like chicken," she said. 

So you take the cut up squirrel and dredge it in flour. If I were making it, I would use gluten free flour of course. Brown it in an iron skillet with some oil. When it's nicely brown, put about an inch of water or so in it and cover it, then put it in the oven at 350 and bake until falling off the bone tender. I think it usually takes about an hour in the oven. Take it out of the skillet and use the drippings to make gravy. My brothers say the gravy is the best part. :)

What about you? What is traditional food for you? 

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:20 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Did you see "Duck Dynasty" last week? Kay was making a Pigducken for Christmas. It was a pig, stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken. Lamb is about as foreign as we get at my house.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I didn't see it. Pigducken? Wow. LOL

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger jel said...

my dad , and his mom would eat the brains of the squirrel, the would make headcheese too. gravy is a food group here, so is cornbread and beans :) and taters

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Timothy Fish said...

I agree, squirrel is normal. I've never had turtle soup, but the rest of your list sounds pretty normal too. We raised rabbits when I was a kid, so we probably ate rabbit more often than we did chicken.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

My son says squirrel is good, too. He wants to cook one to show us. Even though he's a sous chef with a 5-star chef, I'm a bit unsure about this. To me, they're tree rats. A nuisance. I'm not sure if I could eat one. Although I usually not too squeamish, but ... gulp ... we'll see if I manage squirrel. Shiver.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

We had a pet squirrel from it's birth. Lived with us eight years in the house and was potty trained. I could NEVER eat a squirrel! :-)

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I downloaded Silent Night yesterday and was so pleased to read this story about Bree and Kade, and of course Samson! How exciting to see the next chapter in their love story! I'm so anxious to read Tidewter Inn and look forward to even more stories about the U.P.

I so wish I had more family and friends like those in your book. As much as I dislike cold weather, it even makes me willing to live with the cold to have their experiences~. Of course in all of our lives there are the good and bad times.

Thanks so much for writing this series, please keep them coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz