Girls Write Out
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Tomorrow is my grandfather's 97th Birthday!!!  I'm going up to his apartment to have dinner with him to celebrate the feat of a life well-lived. He is, after all, my favorite person on earth.  Which could have something to do with the fact that he gave me my very first handbag:  A leather, American-Indian pouch with feathers that hung from it.

He is a WWII vet, a carpenter by trade and the most unselfish person I have ever met.  When I was dating my husband I told him that he'd better like me because my relatives lived a long time.  (I had all four of my grandparents until I was 37.)

However, even I didn't expect our mutual fan club would go on for this long, and I am so grateful! My mother told me not to spend any money on his gift, but to write him another note.  He still reads last year's and makes all the nurses read it out loud because he's so proud of me.

I think those special letters that I've written to people who have made a difference in my life are going to be my legacy.  As my grandfather's is generosity. My grandmother's was being "The Cookie Lady."

The world gets so caught up in accomplishments when it thinks of legacy, but it's much simpler than that to me.  It's about who you are at your core.  What you left on this earth to make other people matter.  Most of us will never be Rockefellers or Carnegies, but that makes us no less important.  Not to the people we matter to.  We'll never be average in their minds.  Whose legacy made a difference in your life?


Elle, My Grandpa & I Getting a Pedi

Kristin  
posted at 12:55 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I LOVE his expression!! ROFLOL!! So precious, Kristin. Thanks for sharing this. :)

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Julie Jarnagin said...

I love the idea of writing letters to the most important people in your life. I want to start doing this!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

He just wanted to go to sleep getting the pedi. LOL He wants to go to sleep most of the day now.

Yes, write letters. People appreciate kind words!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Patty said...

So very special! I got to celebrate my Grandfathers 100th & 103, or maybe it was 104th with him! He past away last year just before his 107th birthday!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I love your post, K!! That's what it all boils down to, doesn't it--making a difference while we're here. Such an encouragement!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I forgot to say my grandfather-in-law left a huge legacy in my life. He was as gentle a man as I've ever seen, and loved God with everything in him. If ever I had a question about spiritual matters, I would go to him. He died in 1987 and I still miss him so much! What a godly legacy he left behind!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

This is a great post, Kristin, and it's so wonderful to have someone in your life who loves in that way--and someone who would go get pedicures with you! (And I love the purse story--how great is that!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz