Girls Write Out
Monday, November 28, 2005


These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Have someone difficult to buy for on your Christmas List? Who doesn't? So, today I thought I'd try to be helpful by naming some of my very favorite things (Hey, Oprah does, why not me?) Who knows, you might find just the thing for that sister-in-law who has everything.

Denise's Favorite Things

Favorite Chocolate - Hands down, this local gourmet chocolatier is my favorite. You won't find better truffles or candy anywhere. I should know, I've tried. Best of all, you can buy it online and ship it anywhere. It's pricey, but it makes a great gift. www.debrand.com

Favorite Place to Buy Writer Doo-Dads - Levengers has writer gifts you never even thought of. Great for editors and booklovers. www.levenger.com

Favorite Robe - Land's End Calf-Length Turkish Robe. Soft and plush, you'll feel like you're staying at a five-star hotel.

Favorite Novel - It's really hard to narrow this down, but Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers has moved me more than any other novel I've read.

Favorite Bible Study - Any of the Beth Moore Bible studies would be a great gift for your Christian pals.

Favorite Place to Buy Gift Baskets - For those who really have everything, Harry and David gift baskets, boxes, and towers make really nice gifts.

Favorite Book on Writing - I can't narrow it down to one here. For that writer on your list, Stein on Writing by Sol Stein and The Breakout Novel by Donald Mass are real winners that I keep going back to.

Favorite Perfume - It took me a long time to find a perfume that I didn't find sickeningly sweet. I can't stand florals or those heavy expensive perfumes. I love the fresh citrusy smell of So Pink by Gapscent (in eau de toilette--whatever that means) at, you guessed it, The Gap.

Favorite Gift for Friends and Family - I love to make candy for Christmas. It's the perfect gift when you want to show someone appreciation and don't want them to feel guilty if they didn't buy for you. I like to make Buckeyes, Almond Florentines, Fudge, and Pecan Logs. Put individual pieces in candy wrappers and put on a pretty plate, in tins, or in small Christmas gift bags. This is also a great way to say thank you to teachers.

Favorite Magazines - My favorites are Good Housekeeping and Writer's Digest, but a magazine subscription that fits the person you're buying for will be appreciated.

Please post a response and name some of your favorite things. I need help too!

Anonymous  
posted at 10:57 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've decided to wait until Dec. 1 and order everything online. This is simply because I won't get THE BILL until late January. No chiding, please. I AM setting a budget first. So far I've been looking through the Wireless and Signals catalogs. They're online too, and have great one-of-a-kind sort of gifts. Thanks Denise for pointing out more ideas too. Guess I won't be getting much writing done on Thursday :-)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

I usually bake as well, fudge, sugar cookies, oatmeal butterscotch, maybe something new and those Neiman Marcus cookies are expensive and time consuming to make but so good. Make sure you use macadamia nuts.
For friends and family on the mainland I can get away with chocolate covered macadamia nuts, macadamia nuts, macadamia nut popcorn, Kona coffee and any one of a hundred fun items that get imported from Asia.
I gave a friend's daughter some hair floss as a gift earlier this year and she loved it. It doesn't pull on her hair like anything else does. Basically it's elastic hair cord that you cut and tie to whatever size you want. I love it. It comes in every color of the rainbow and holds the hair better than any scrunchie does. That's my gift of choice for people with long hair this year.

Malia

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there anything better than Debrands maple creams...oh or their chocolate covered cherries. I love to go to the one in Jefferson Pointe.

Something I did for the teens in my family last year was movie tickets and then I made up these little square gift boxes with boxed candies like you get at the theatre. Snow caps, Junior mints, Dots, etc...Okay so you're not supposed to bring in your own candy--anyway, they loved it. They looked cute too.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I found that Barnes And Noble covers just about everybody on my list! Your Barnes and Noble gift card can be used at the Starbucks in the store, (and a few others will will honor it.... if you know the barista.... :)) and they have everything from stationary to the latest movies and Cd's! Another great favorite.... Swiss Colony! ( I get all kinds of free stuff becuase I order every year for my dad the king of "has everything and buys anything else on your list for him!")

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok! Ok! I admit! I spend more than twice the amount on me than anyone else!!! :) I have enough books to start my own library and yet I go back for more! :)
BTW I got "What a Girl Wants" For every girl on my list this year!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, love Francine Rivers!

I also just found the most marvelous site, where you can send an edible bouquet. These are bouquets that look like flowers made out of fruits. Pineapples, starwberries, cantaloupe and melons carved like leaves. Beautiful and delicious! Yummy! The website is www.ediblearrangements.com

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Cliniques Happy or Heart are also great perfumes. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz