Girls Write Out
Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Turn out the lights, the party’s over.

Have I mentioned I’m back from my vacation in Florida with my sisters-in-law? Reality hits me every time I look at my manicured nails that are now chipped and saying, “It’s over. Adjust.” (My nails can be so rude.)

Still, things could be worse. I could have a root canal scheduled today, but instead I find myself decorating for Christmas (remember, I’m one of those), and the Carpenters are crooning in the background (yes, I’m really that old).

After decorating, I will clean house--aren’t you thrilled I’m sharing all this with you?--and then I may start pre-Thanksgiving preparations. The kids are coming here this year. So we’ll have six adults and four little ones running around in our small home, and I will love every minute of it!!

Grandmas are just like that.

Honestly, I know the holidays can be stressful. So much to do, so little time. And I have edits coming the first of December, which is why I’m rushing to get everything done ahead of time.

Still, in the midst of all this chaos, I am striving this year to stop and smell the chestnuts roasting over the open fire--well, okay, would you believe the cider simmering in the crock pot?

Life is short. I want to make every effort to enjoy the days God has given me, living each day to the full. Sounds good, doesn’t it? But not always possible to do. I know. Yet, it doesn’t stop me from trying to enjoy the moments, every one of them, because they are a gift. Course, when the kids are scattering toys about, crying to watch “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” for the hundredth time (Jim Carrey just scares me), and our blind dog has bumped into my legs enough to cause permanent damage, I might have to be reminded about the gift of moments thing.

Until then, I’ll just swirl around my kitchen, playing June Cleaver, and look forward to the kids’ arrival. Hey, I’m delirious, but I’m happy.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 9:21 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd just like to say that i started reading this blog because kristen sent the link in her email newsletter, but i've enjoyed reading everyone's entries.

and i hadn't really heard of any of you ladies besides kristen but i was just cleaning out my car on sunday and i found a book in the backseat by... guess who? yes you diann. so i HAVE read one of your books. can't remember what it's called though lol, it was a heartsong presents one (i bought a bunch of them at the christian bookstore a month back coz they were like $2 each in the markdown section and i thought... oooh cheap reading! so i bought about 6.)

anyhow, now i just have to find some of colleen and denise's.


bethanie

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Di, can I just come to your house? I refuse to clean mine on the grounds it might encourage more out-of-town guests! LOL

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OH! I love the Carpenter's Christmas Album. Now I'll have to stick that CD in tonight when I get hom, thus driving my wife insane. That one and Snoopy Christmas, those are my favorites (yes, I know it's Charlie Brown, but let's face it, he'd be nowhere without the beagle). I still like to turn off all the lights and stare at the Christmas tree, then blurr my vision so all the colored lights blend together. You guys do that too, right? Right?

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Ron, I do that. But I normally lay UNDER the tree to do it. Looks REALLY cool!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, Ron, my husband bought the Charlie Brown Christmas video recently! :-) And another Carpenter's fan!! Whoohooo!! It doesn't get much better than that, in my opinion.

And yes, I do stare at the tree until all the colored lights blur together! Um, should we admit that on, like, well, a blog site?

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Too funny, Denise!!! LOL

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry, Diann, none of these people can claim a higher standard of sanity. They're writers.

And let's not forget the true meaning of Christmas as told in Charlie Brown Christmas:

"All I want is what I've got coming to me! All I want is my fair share!"
- Sally Brown

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Diann,
Thank you for your post.
Yes, I want to enjoy my Thnaksgiving and not just rush to get it over with.
lol..
Love Anna Marie.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Hey Di! Great to have you back. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas and have been listening to cartoons, Small One, Disney cartoons, Fraggel Rock, and Charlie Brown video's in the background as I go about my business in the house! So you are not alone in the land of zealous, zany, holiday fun. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Is ANYONE too young for the Carpenters? Karen Carpenter's voice was pure velvet. I still miss her and everytime I hear her songs it takes me back to my college time.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Di is finally able to indulge in Christmas after weeks of us calling her nuts for playing Christmas music starting in SEPTEMBER!!! The girl is nuts.

Hey Bethanie, Kristin, Denise, Diann and I ALL started at Heartsong! Check your stack, we might be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz