Girls Write Out
Tuesday, November 15, 2005


What is it with the age reminders lately?

Kevin and I took the boys to a high school football game Friday. Now it's been almost twenty (ACK!) years since I was spinning a flag on the field at half time, but I'm looking forward to it all. The chill in the air, the smell of popcorn, the sound of football pads colliding. I remember sitting on the stands, cuddling closely with my favorite guy. Ah, the memories.

On the way to the game, Kevin and I are talking about our blogsite, and I refer to my "aging eyes" blog (Oct 20). This is where I'm lamenting about how my eyebrows have slid down my face, leaving an awning of saggy skin in their wake . So Kevin, trying to assure me he remembers the post I'm referring to says, "Oh, yeah, the blog about the bags under your eyes."

Bags? Did he just say bags? Now, mind you, I might have a little puffy, pre-bag thing going on, but he says this as if I'm toting a 5-piece set of Samsonite under there.

I let it slide (just like my eyebrows). We are going to have a fun, reminiscent evening.

So we grab our bundle of blankets and stadium gear and find seats high in the stands. The sounds and smells are just as I remember, and I'm smiling as I flip open my hard-backed stadium seat. I plunk down and find Kevin staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"We know we're middle-aged when we're planted in one of those babies," he says, looking pointedly at my chair.

Only problem is, we are not planted in one of those babies, I am. Nice of him to include himself. I brush it off, determined to have a fun, reminiscent evening.

My family watches the game while I watch people. Hey, that's what writers do. I notice that the teeny-boppers are as skinny as the mannequins at the mall that I point at and say, "Who's that skinny?"

By the end of the loud game, I have a headache, so I reach into my purse for relief. I'm opening my pillbox when I see Kevin staring at it with that irritating little smirk. I dare him with my eyes to say one word. Wisely, he turns to watch the end of the game.

Our evening? It's reminiscent all right. I'm distinctly recalling my fresh-faced, skinny, pain-free self of 20 years ago. But one thing is still exactly the same as it was back then: I'm still sitting in the stands, cuddled up with my favorite guy. And I wouldn't trade that for all the collagen in the world.

Anonymous  
posted at 8:49 AM  
  Comments (4)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
4 Comments:
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You guys REALLY net to set up your spam controls! LOL

I hear ya, Denise. Next year marks my 20th year of being out of school and already, a "committee" has been emailing about our 20 yr reunion! UGH

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I blew off my 20 year. A)it's in Virginia and I live in Michigan and B)I was a Navy Brat so nobody would have remembered me anyway.

Believe it or don't, ladies, the Real Men out there actually enjoy watching our wives grow older. Have you ever noticed how we refuse to throw away old jackets? Think about it.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Or favorite "fishing" shirts? I have some of my hubby's that are older than me! LOL

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Okay, you babies, enough whining. I'm 53! You're still children. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz