Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I'M A FREAK
I think we're all a little freakish in our own ways, but it's a scary day when you finally realize the freak in your life is YOU. I had this humbling experience last Friday. Our new preacher's wife, Rebecca, and I were on a jaunt to Merrillville to find a hotel to host our upcoming ladies' retreat. We'd been having a grand time. Rebecca is a doll, and it's always fun to discover a new friend. We'd been past this shopping center three times before I saw it.

There, just to my right, was a CARIBOU COFFEE SHOP!! My van veered to the right before I got control of it again. "It's Caribou Coffee," I shrieked. Rebecca was looking at me rather carefully. I think she was wondering what she should do if I tried to cause another accident over coffee. "No, no, you don't understand," I babbled. "There is no Caribou Coffee in Indiana. I've only seen it in Minnesota, but it's the most awesome coffee. We are SO going to have some."

Rebecca is nodding. "Of course we will," she said in the same soothing voice she uses when her two year old is getting fractious. We managed to go to lunch first--I wanted to keep some shred of dignity--then we went to the coffee shop. I burst through the door shouting, "I'm so glad you're here!" The girl behind the counter brightened with a big smile. I think my excitement made the day for all the employees, but I think Rebecca wanted to slink out the door.

My mocha was just as good as I remembered. And if you think I'm a freak, just blame Kristin. She got all this freakishness started at a coffee shop in Glorieta the first time we met. It's all her fault. Really.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 8:26 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Should I be ashamed about my coffee addiction as well? It's too late anyway...I've been out of the closet for years on this one. :)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

I too am a fellow "coffee freak" Springfield has now been blessed with a new coffee shop-- get this.......... IN our Christian Bookstore.... what more can an addicted gal want.. well besides it being in a spa too.(hmm might need to open one)... Anyway.. You are not alone in your freakiness..but I really like the idea of blaming a friend.. I think I will blame Mandy... I feel better now. Thanks!

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone see the episode of Gilmore Girls when Lorelei and her mother went to a spa and they didn't serve coffee? (Apparently caffeine is not a calming substance.) Or what about the time Lorelei leaned against the coffee counter one early morning and croaked, "Coffee, coffee, coffee!" The hostess then served her three cups of coffee--too funny! For some reason those episodes stick out in my mind...

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, I did see those Gilmore Girls episodes! They are definitely "coffee freaks!" =)

I'm said say that we HAD a bookstore (our only one since we live in a small town) that had a coffee shop in it. However, it has closed!! What a very sad store...no book store AND no coffee shop!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

I've been the freak in my group for years. If only it was just because of coffee...

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

I have to try Caribou Coffee. I'm partial to Peet's Coffee, myself. There's also this fabulous little New Orleans/French coffeeshop in Morgan Hill that makes TERRIFIC coffee and serves yummy lunch sandwiches and salads, too.

Camy

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Elaina M. Avalos said...

Well good to know us freaks are in good company! I'm the same way although I've yet to try Caribou although my friends, when I lived in DC loved it. I'm still a Starbucks girl. When I drove cross country I drove through this long stretch where there either weren't Starbucks at all or they were so far from the interstate that even I couldn't drive that far out of my way. When I walked into the Starbucks in Amarillo, TX. I actually said to the Barista, "I'm so glad you're here." He just smiled as if he knew exactly how I felt. Well, either that or he thought I was looney tunes off my rocker. But at least he was nice about it if he thought I was loco. :)

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Never tried Carabou coffee...then again, I'm in ARKANSAS, for pity's sake. SIGH. Poor me, stuck with my regular coffee, but SUCH an addict! :)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Glorietta musta been good that year, C. You got a great friend Kristin and a coffee addiction.

:) R

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a recent new stockholder in Carbou (CBOU), I appreciate your enthusiasm for Carabou's products.

I'm sitting here hangin' on WiFi at Peet's in Brookline, MA, and we too are Carabou-less.

It is cold enough (minn. cold) today!

Foob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz