Girls Write Out
Monday, February 13, 2006


WINTER OLYMPICS.

Those people have discipline.

Now I ask you, why would anyone put themselves through that? The endless hours of practice, the sweating, the sleep deprivation, the lack of social life, the carrot diet. No wait. That sounds like the writer’s world. Well, all except for the carrot diet part. As a writer, I can eat all the chocolate I want and it won’t affect my end product—unless, of course, I get chocolate on my manuscript—but since I now send my manuscript via email, I’m good.

I enjoy watching the Olympics. It boggles my mind how dedicated those people are to their sport. But then we’re just as dedicated to our passion for writing, right? I said, RIGHT??? Sure, we are.

Okay, maybe I don’t have to go out in the cold--unless I go to the coffee shop to write. All right, and I don’t have to stay a certain weight (well, only if I want to wear the current clothes in my closet). I don’t have to get up while it is still dark (I leave that to the Olympians and the Proverbs 31 woman). I needn’t sweat—unless I have a hot flash. And my muscles don’t burn unless I run to the refrigerator.

Still, I am dedicated—my body is going to pot, but I am dedicated. To words. They say women have to use a certain amount of words every day. I think that’s why I started writing. My husband just couldn’t handle me using them all on him, and they had to come out somewhere.

So once again, I find myself at the computer, writing words. It’s a discipline, but I will prevail. Besides, as you can see from the picture, I'm not Olympic material. (The one with the weird-looking legs on the right? That would be me.) Writing is a whole lot more fun to me than downhill skiing. If you want to know how I feel about skiing, read my June release with Love Inspired, Blissfully Yours. (Oh, and it’s a sequel to my March release, A Match Made in Bliss, both under my pen name of Diann Walker.)

Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:21 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL....you're on SKIS? What ARE you thinking? LOL I'm liking the snowmobile thing, NOT the skis! LOL

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Kristin, it's a bunny slope in Michigan. Has all the threat of a speed bump to most people. But to me? Well, it might as well have been the Rockies. Give me the flat lands--at least while I'm on skis. :-)

Di

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Diann! I took ski lessons once, did great, got on the bunny hill and skied the whole way down --- on my bumm. Now I sit with my laptop in the ski lodge and send my heroines down the slopes. LOL

But the idea of using Olympic discipline in our writing has merit. It might keep my bumm in the chair more. :)

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

LOL-- Every year we go to the slopes (fake snow)and go tube'in... thats about as close to ski's you will get this chubby uncoordinated girl!
Now my kids, they can snowboard...I tried once and realized real quick that there is not enough insurance or bengay in the world.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

That's hilarious, Corina! I'm with you. The guy on the left in the picture was my "teacher." By the time I fell for the third time, I had a migraine, and I was ready to hurt somebody-namely, him. He says, "Come on, let's try it again." I politely declined (though there was a slight growl in my voice), and I went up to the lodge and enjoyed a nice cup of steaming coffee. Now, THAT'S my kind of skiing.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

You know Di, I think too much chocolate might effect the er, "end" product! LOL

Nice skiiing. Is that snow?

Rachel ;)

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

I can't wait to read the Bliss books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooo HOOOOO, Diann Hunt books better than the Olympics!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can vouch for her - not a LICK of athlete in her. =) But her dedication to writing? She wins the gold!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Oooh, so is that why I write? Cuz I need to use my my word quota for the day and I only see my husband the few hours he's home from work? Now I get it. Plus biotech work is all solitary, no one gabbing with me, I must have been bursting!

Camy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz