Girls Write Out
Friday, February 24, 2006


It’s a Writer’s World After All

I live inside my head. Oh, I know technically everyone lives inside their head. But I have a feeling I set up camp inside the confines of my brain more than the average person. I think it’s because I’m a writer. Or maybe I’m a writer because I live inside my head. I’m not sure which.

You non-writers might be wondering what I’m talking about, so I’ll explain. My imagination runs wild. I often have films running in my head of things that already happened or things that are about to happen. My films contain people and dialogue and colors and setting.

Usually the movies in my head are unintentional, but when I’m plotting a story, these films come in very handy. I play out scenes between my characters, and when my protagonist spits out a caustic comment, I can pause long enough to concoct a snappy comeback. If the scene isn’t developing right, I can rewind it and change the direction. Yeah, we’re a weird bunch, we writers.

Living in one’s own head can present challenges, though. Even my children know to wait about ten seconds after they ask a question. It takes time to pause that film and re-focus my attention on the here and now. I used to think I must be a freak, but now I know I’m normal. For a writer.
Anonymous  
posted at 3:47 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Contesa said...

I know what you mean. I have self directed movies in my head all the time!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I had always thought I just had a problem with daydreaming until I heard that most writers "live in their head" as you say.

As far as the kids waiting a minute before you answer, my son will ask me something and I'm trying to wrap up whatever I'm processing, meanwhile he's asked me over and over like 5 or 6 times. He doesn't get it yet. ;)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Winter Peck said...

So, that's what's wrong with me. LOL! This also explains why I'm always thinking up worst case scenarios, I think that has more to do with me being a suspense writer than anything.

I do exactly as you said, play through, rewind if I don't like, or fast forward to a better scene. Makes for better movie watching than anything we see on TV, or the big screen sometimes.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I thought you were on a cruise...

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Corina Bowen said...

LOL-- I need my husband to read this blog! I hear quite a bit... "Hello, earth to Gracie... come in Gracie"
My teachers use to write "She is in La-la land often.. but has a wonderful imagination."
Ahh, but the stories that I see!

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger eileen said...

I was at the store today and handed the clerk a $20 bill. She drew a line across it with a special marker. I asked why. To prove it isn't counterfeit. Oh. Then I return to the counter after my groceries are in the car to ask three questions. My brain is already in story mode. She probably took my license plate # for the police.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish there was a way to turn it off, the constantly plotting creative mind I mean.

I am constantly saying, huh? Because someone will be talking to me and something they say reminds me of something in my story and off my mind goes only to tune in as the person is squinting at me and I know that they know I haven't heard a word.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Okay, I know I'm not the only one without the billion story ideas in my head, because I distinctly remember Brandilyn Collins saying she doesn't either. But I am so jealous of all you writers with the movies and the worst case scenarios and the whole living in your head thing. Of course, I probably walk into a lot less doors than you people!
Camy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz