Girls Write Out
Thursday, February 23, 2006

What do you DO all day?
Writers always want to know how other writers spend their day. The answer is really quite mundane I think, for most of us. But if anyone cares, here's an average writing day for me.

7 a.m. Wake up, put on makeup and clothes. If jeans fit, it's a good day.

8 a.m. Kids go to school with Dad. Ah, peace -- fool around on email and answer letters, interview requests, etc., for an hour. Make coffee, or wait for hubby to bring it home if he's going into town.

9 a.m. I start to write. I generally write between 2k and 3k per day. At this time, I'm getting the gist of what my chapter for the day will be, and it has a lot of false starts, and there's a lot of hyper emailing with my writing group while we procrastinate, I mean, brainstorm.

11:30 -- Go pick up my daughter from kindergarten.

12 to 1 -- Lunch with Elle (daughter)

1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Edit the morning's work. Elle chatters in my office, and plays with dolls, or watches a movie.

3 p.m., My husband and three boys come home from work/school. They play outside, and I finish up the day's work.

4 p.m. Watch mindless TV until 5 p.m.

5 p.m. Dinner

If I'm on deadline, I actually write at night too. All laundry/cleaning, etc. is done in ten minute increments. I get to a spot where I'm useless, and so I clean something while I think of where to go next. I can't clean when the family is home, it's a mental thing. I also have to have a clean house (with the exception of my office, which is always a pigsty) to start writing. There's a lot more "busywork" to writing once publishing is on a cycle. There's interviews/editing/brainstorming the next book. It really does fill up an eight hour day plus, very quickly. The hard part is when you're not making enough, you really have to fit it in around other things. When my kids were young, from 1 to 3 was "Mommy Time" and once they stopped napping, they had to keep themselves busy during that time so I could write. Also, I have MS, so sometimes, I am just not here brainwise, on those days, I've learned to cut my losses and relax, because sitting at the computer will only frustrate me. As I said, it's a boring day, but there it is.
Anonymous  
posted at 11:30 PM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,
I'm glad you wrote this, because I was curious about how you accomplished so much with 4 children. I mean, FOUR children! I only have 3, and I don't get quiet time until after 10:30, sometimes 11:30-midnight if my husbands feeling chatty. Out of curiosity, how much time do you actually spend writing vs. writing-related activities?

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Hi, Kristin!
Thank you for sharing. I think people not-in-the-know assume writers live glamorous lives. I like how you do housework in ten minute spots. I do mine in fifteen. Avoids burnout that way :D

I care for children and write in ten or fifteen minute segments while they're doing an activity that doesn't require my attention. I'm so thankful God wired me to be a multi-tasker! Otherwise, I wouldn't get anything done!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I'm not kidding, but I always thought that writing should be this gloriously solitary activity done while gazing out at the sea from my second story home office. (Not that I have one. I saw that in a Chevy Chase movie--anyone recall the name? I don't.)

Anyway, I quit my full time job when my son was born, and pictured myself caring for the little darling while quietly writing away the day. Yeah, right. Now I know better, and your post confirmed that life with kids, plus writing, make for often frenetic days.

Good thing we love what we do though :-)

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think its boring one bit. It sounds like a great day to me. If only I had a family or keep up on writing. :)

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

DANG! You rock. You're so disciplined. With kids, no less!
Camy

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Hey Kristin,

Jean Kincaid says to tell you she's reading WHAT A GIRL WANTS and laughing her head. She would like to know how many books you write a year? and is chicklit the only genre you will contine to write in?

She thanks you for traveling with her today...

Rhonda and Jean

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two books a year from here on out?!!! How will I survive the dry spells when there isn't a new book out?!! I may be a SLLLOOOOOOOWWWW reader, but I'm not that slow. I see a bleak future of reading 7th grade essays ahead of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz