Girls Write Out
Friday, April 07, 2006

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME
Okay, who ever came up with the nutty idea anyway? You're not SAVING anything. There are a certain amount of hours of daylight and monkeying with the clock doesnt't give you more. See these dark circles under my eyes? Indiana joined the rest of the madness last weekend. I didn't say anything in my last blog. I gave it a chance. We've been doing this switcher-oo for nearly a week now. BUT I'M NOT HAPPY!

When 10 o'clock comes, my body says, "oh no, you don't. I'm wide awake. It's not time for bed yet." I lay there with my mind running around like Wilson the mongoose. You'd think I'd at least fall to sleep at my normal time, but not a chance. It's as though my mind has started sprinting and it's not about to turn off. Okay, maybe part of that is I'm working on a new book (got my edits done. YAY!) and I'm exploring possibilities, but it's mostly the disruption of my inner clockworks.

And it's DARK when we get up. I was just enjoying the fact we were waking up to light. After tossing and turning for hours, when I finally DO fall asleep, my body wants to know why I'm dragging it out of bed at such an unheard of hour.

So need I say that I'm not voting again for Mitch Daniels or any of the representatives he strong-armed to get this through? LOL Um, no.

I believe in looking on the bright side, but I'm having trouble with this one. So tell me, those of you who have always changed. Do you like it? Is there anything good about this? Okay, one good thing. I can SEE my DeBrand truffles longer because I'm up an hour longer. Or two or three. The problem is I can't eat them because I'm dieting. Hey, you'll be proud. We had a few bags left of the chocolate we were taking to some bookstores and I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM! Totally amazing, huh? I can't believe it myself. I've been sooo good. Of course part of it might be my migraines have been better lately and I don't want to jinx it. LOL
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:00 AM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never liked Daylight Savings Time. It messes up our sleeping and eating times. I hate getting up again in the dark, too.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colleen, I saw on the news that you guys finally joined the rest of the country. It will make it easier to know what time it is in other time zones, changing when they do. Idaho has always done the daylight savings from the time it was instituted. I confess that I love having it be daylight at 10:00 in the summer. Well, twilight is more accurate. (We're on the western edge of the time zone.) And before long, sunrise will be a promise on the horizon well before 6:00 a.m.

My trick: Set all the clocks ahead the one hour around six in the afternoon on Saturday. Go to bed at my regular time and take a sleep aid. My body is reset in one day.

I wouldn't care if they stopped doing it, but I don't mind that they do it either. You'll get used to it.

Robin

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would rather it stayed the way it is right now. I hate having to "fall back" in October. November and December are the darkest months of the year and I hate when it is dark at 5:00 pm. I love it when it is still light out at 9:00 at night

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

I'm with Suzanne. I'm a DST girl - I like it being lighter later and longer in the day - more PLAY time! I'd like it to be this way all year round.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate daylight savings. it drives me insane at 10pm when it's still light. if they really wanted daylight savings they should have it in winter so that it is light in the evening! but no they have it in summer when it's already light in the evening.

although i shouldn't complain too much, my state (western australia) voted it out about 17yrs ago - so we are different to the rest of the country! sucks in summer though, that extra hour time difference....

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

You must be on an edge of your time zone Colleen. I am smack in the middle of mine so I have the best of both worlds. I wake up in the sunlight and get the light into the evening. Usually I'm thrilled for DST to come because my kids get up with the sun and I saw one too many mornings in the five o'clock hour. Problem being that now they go to bed an hour later. Hey good with the bad....

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I don't understand the need for DST anymore. It should go away!

I hope your diet goes well

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Robin must have been hanging around my house. We do it exactly the same! I love daylight savings time. I love the extra hours of light at night. SO with the help of some Tylenol P.M., I manage the change quite well. :o) Sickening, huh? But I wait those 5 months of darkness for the DST!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Amen, Colleen! I have been messed up all week. My husband and I keep saying "It's 8 o'clock, but it's really only 7 o'clock. LOL. I am SO not a morning person. Never have been. I'm trying to drag myself out of bed in the morning. It's not a pretty thing.

We haven't heard from Diann or Denise. How are you all liking it?

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Robin, are you telling me it's soon going to be light when I want to go to bed? LOL And you like this--why? LOL

It's been a week now, girls. I was finally sleepy when I went to bed and woke up alert this morning. I'll have to try the sleep aid thing next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz