Girls Write Out
Friday, April 28, 2006

GROOVY
Any other boomers out there? What a blast from the past I've been enjoying. I'm deep in the writing of MIDNIGHT SEA, book four of the Aloha Reef series. Some of my characters lived at Taylor Camp on the island of Kaua'i, a kind of hippie commune in the early seventies. My villain is still there in heart and he says stuff like groovy, gnarly, fab and heavy. Some of these words I haven't thought about in years. It's enough to make a girl grab a bikini and head for the beach. Okay, maybe not the bikini.

There are some good memories I have from the hippie era (not that I was ever a hippie, mind you). Things like listening to the radio play The Monkees, the Beatles, and the Mamas and the Papas in the night when everyone else in the house was asleep. And the cars! They just don't make cars like they used to. I could hear my boyfriend's 383 in his Road Runner coming down the road from a mile away. When we'd drive through town, everyone would stop and look. Now the cars are all generic, even if we do still have a couple of drive up restaurants where carhops bring the food to you. nd Tabu cologne. I smell that and I'm transported to seventeen again.

There are some not so good memories too. I used to wear green eyeshadow in the days before I knew it made me look like Sammy Terry. And what's up with all these hippie clothes making a comeback? I mean, there's a REASON those loose flowing shirts went out of style. They look hideous, and I marvel to think I actually owned some of them once. Bell bottoms, nehru jackets, wild patterned tops in hideous greens and oranges. SO not my color!

So here's your chance to tell me your favorite and not so favorite memories, if you dare to admit you're a boomer. And while you're at it, what's your favorite word or term from the era. You never know, the term might pop up in the book I'm writing!
Colleen Coble  
posted at 7:01 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Loved the music! Bring on the Carpenters, Donny Osmond, Chicago, and my very favorite BREAD! Whoohoooo!! Let's see, I said things like "groovy, hot, dig it." I was totally in love with Kurt Russell and went to all the Disney films he was in. My boyfriend at the time didn't like that too much. I loved hanging out with my best friend, eating French fries, giggling over boys, eating chocolate, listening to records, eating chocolate . . . .

Sigh. Thanks for the memories!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

I loved the Brady Bunch...Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

I can remember my mom and aunt having this perfectly straight hair with one big curl on the side. Like wings. LOL. Sigh, gotta love those hair styles.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Sabrina! (the Marsha thing). That was a great show--Okay, Jan's whining got on my nerves, but all in all it was good.

I forgot to mention that I LOVED my green Chevy Nova (yes, Maggie's husband had the same car!). Today on my walk I spotted a '70s Nova in someone's driveway. Course, it doesn't look quite as snazzy as mine did, but it was a blast from the past.

Oh yeah, I said BLAST all the time too!LOL Still do. And I still eat chocolate. Some things never change.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I'm not a boomer, but man, I LOVE the music from that era. Then again, I love Janis Joplin, so what does that say about my taste? LOL

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

I had to smile when I read this post...I'm not a "boomer" but I'm always giving my mom a hard time about her "hippie" past...she had the hair, the flowing skirts, everything! LOL!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Hey Colleen - I'm a Boomer! I won't tell you which year, but let's just say it was before you.

What do I remember? So many things. Twisting at sock hops, screaming over Ricky Nelson. I got his autograph once when I was horseback riding at a park in Los Angeles. Sigh ...

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Terry said...

I remember eating dinner with my family on Sunday nights on "TV trays" so we could watch "Bonanza" and "The Ed Sullivan Show".

And who remembers the game "Mystery Date"?

What about that TV commercial jingle for hot rollers that went: "Curlers in your hair...shame on you!"

"Toni's"? "Breck" shampoo? "Dippity-Do"? "Skediddle Kiddles"? "Velvet" and "Crissy"?

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last of the boomers, 1964, but remember "digger the dog" & "ants in your pants" toys, the jingle went something like "man don't you bug me, I've got my own bugs too, if you think you're gonna give the bugs to me, I'm gonna give 'em right back to you!"

Those two heavy balls that you hold on their own rope but conjoin at the top & would bang into each other...what were they called?

Mood rings. Nair for hair! (never worked unless you were a gorilla and had 2 inches built up)

Also asking your friends "can you do this?" as you brought your arms in front of you, bending elbows and then whirling them together in egg beater fashion....what was that about?

Favorite memory...when Davy Jones appeared on the Brady's!!! Be still my heart.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Storyteller said...

I'm a Canadian baby boomer. Besides "pop tops" and bell bottom pants, anyone who was anyone had to have a pair of GWG Jeans which we called Cowboy Kings. And Teepee creepers.( moccasins)
I loved the drive in movies and A and W drive-ins.
My favorite singers, The Beetles, BTO, Herman and the Hermits, Gordon Lightfoot( still my fav.)
And the Youth for Christ rallys. Do they still have them?
Favorite memories, singing around a campfire after a moonlight trail ride. On a rainy night, listening to "The Windows of the World are Splattered with Rain" on a little transistor radio.
Oh my. All this thinking is making me nostalgic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz