Girls Write Out
Thursday, June 22, 2006
BOOMER GALS GET UGLY OVER DIET POP.

It started out as normal tour day. The usual getting dressed, eating breakfast, drinking coffee, climbing into the RV after DeBrand truffles Bookstore stops along the way ran smoothly despite the oppressive heat of the day.

Perhaps it’s that same heat that turned the Taco Bell into a lunchroom brawl when boomer authors Colleen Coble and Diann Hunt were about to place their drink orders.

Witnesses say the incident went something like this:

OFFICER ARNOLD: So what made you think you had the right to stop Ms Hunt from having what she wanted?

COLLEEN: I was only looking out for Di’s best interests, Officer. She gets headaches. Nutrasweet is evil. It’s poison. She shouldn’t be ingesting it. How was I to know she was going to insist on polluting her body? You should have seen the look on her face. She nearly bared her teeth.

At this point Officer Arnold and Officer McConnell notice Ms. Hunt is still baring her teeth.

OFFICER MCCONNELL: “Mrs. Hunt witnesses say you were a little, well, too passionate about your drink. Were you, in fact, out of control?

DIANN: You didn’t see her! I thought she was going to throw herself in front of the drink counter to keep me away. Besides, she’s been drowning me with her mountain spring waters till I’m ready to jump off a cliff.

OFFICER MCCONNELL: Just stick to the facts at hand, ma’am.

WITNESS: If I might interject, Officer. I saw the whole thing. In their defense, I will say heat sometimes gets to outsiders when they come to town to visit.

OFFICER MCCONNELL: Just the facts, ma’am. Just stick to the facts.

WITNESS 2: Yeah, but she was way over-reacting to that whole diet drink thing. I’ve been drinking it home some too

COLLEEN: What?? You’re not supposed to be drinking it anytime.

WITNESSE 3: Yeah, she was only trying to help her friend.

OFFICER MCCONNELL: Just stick to the facts.

WITNESS 1: As I was saying—

DIANN: I’ve been drinking iced tea and water all week.

COLLEEN: Yes, but you cheated and got diet pop at Burger King even after all I’ve told you about those headaches! Why I sent you a web link just the other day . . .

OFFICERS ARNOLD AND MCCONNELL: Just stick to the facts, ma’am. Just stick to the facts.

Just as things were heating up between the officers, the boomers, and the employees, counter boy entered the room, carrying a large pitcher of unsweetened tea, and the palpable tension eased from the room. The officers left the scene, the boomers hugged and made up, though this reporter did hear one of the women grumbling something about her fill of stinkin’ tea

Something tells me this thing ain’t over yet. Officers are standing by . . . .
Colleen Coble  
posted at 2:14 PM  
  Comments (13)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
13 Comments:
At 6:38 PM, Blogger eileen said...

An outsider here, who drinks Diet Coke, but isn't the one full of water a bit....washed out in the picture?

Have fun, girlies!!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

We just got into our hotel room, and I had my hubby go out and sneak me a Diet Pepsi. Don't tell Colleen, 'k?

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Di said I looked like a ghost, Eileen. It seemed appropriate considering what i write. LOL

Diann Hunt! I'm appalled at you!

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahhaaa!


i am a diet coke fan myself....mmmmm!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

Okay, I'm rotflol. You guys crack me up...but Di as much as I love ya, I have to side with Colleen. I will not use any nutrasweet or aspartame products because of the headaches. (not to mention the nasty taste it leaves in your mouth) ;)

So glad you guys are having a blast!! Be safe and get back to Indiana soon!

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Di, Have you tried the new Diet Coke w/ Splenda? It's great. Thought you might want to know.
Love ya!
Your sis, BETH

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Di said, "We just got into our hotel room."

Hotel room? You mean you aren't sleeping in Waldo? I'm crushed!

WINK

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to join the 'no diet coke' side of things here. If you are going to have a coke, it really oughta be regular coke with real sugar. Sugar is bad, but it IS natural (God made sugar canes grow afterall) whereas that fake stuff is altered by man (and we all know man messes things up, right?) Plus, the nasty side effects are so not worth a moment of pleasure. ;)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

LOL, I won't touch anything diet. If I'm going to have soda, which got cut out of my diet and I LOVE Pepsi, it's going to be the real thing. I've seen what diet does to my mom. Not fun. You'd think after all these years she'd be convinced to switch but it's a losing battle.

Maybe it has something to do with the lost hormones in menopause that make you more stubborn?

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Di, I'm with you all the way, babe! Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. This health kick is overrated. :o)

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm gonna have to agree with C on this one, Di! Nutrasweet? UGH. Get the real stuff. LOL

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Di, sorry, but I'm with Colleen on this one. No allegiance to my clients in this case. :) It's the real stuff or not at all. Don't like the aftertaste or the longterm side-effects. On the rare occasions that I do drink coke, it's Coca-Cola and not Pepsi.

The new stuff with Splenda isn't bad. At least it's from sugarcane and not the chemically-manufactured from spare sparts sweeteners. And we wonder why our bodies have problems processing it.

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun reading about your trip. Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz