Girls Write Out
Wednesday, June 14, 2006
GRANDMOTHERS
What is it about grandmothers and grandchildren? A grandchild can get a grandma to do unheard of things. This is my son at his wedding reception dancing with his grandmother. If you'd have told me my mother would dance, I would have chortled so hard I choked. Same with my dad. But they were both out there hot footing it for the sake of their grandson. Now granted, at one point my son CARRIED my mom to the floor! I would have paid good money if we'd captured that on video.

But back to grandchildren. I had a perfect grandmother myself. And my mom has been a wonderful grandmother to my children. I have great footsteps to follow. My grandma would have defended me with her last breath. Every time I went to her house, I was stuffed with cookies and other goodies (hmm, could that be the root of my weight issues?) and she let me do about anything I wanted. She called me every day, and I can still hear her voice in my head. People say I'm a lot like her. I take it as a compliment (though sometimes it's meant as a slam to my motherliness). Being like my Grandma Eileen is the highest goal I could attain. She was godly and loved her family with a fierce passion that never waned.

This week I'm getting a taste of grandmotherhood. I've got my new grandsons here to spoil. I bought everything they liked to eat, I've even turned over my little Sony computer and my desktop to them. Now THAT'S love. LOL Today I took them to the pool where I learned to swim. They're starting to feel at home. They raid the refrigerator without asking, that's a good sign isn't it? I think I can get the hang of this. And I'm sure loving it!

How about you? Did your grandmother shape your life like mine did?
Colleen Coble  
posted at 4:52 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

Oh my goodness - my life would be empty without my Gramma. She is one of my best friends!! We go out to eat together and just "hang". She's 84 years old and comes and weeds my yard and takes care of my flowers!! It's great to have a gardener and come home to a gorgeous lawn after a hard day's work. She has been a great influence on my life ... she is so precious... I totally relate to your post about your Grandmother!! (only mine was big on getting me to eat healthy - hence my aversion to carrots!)

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

My grandmas were beautiful, wonderful ladies--but very different. I'm a Chex-Mex. One grandma was a Czech with hands made for farming (my mom always says that :-). She baked bread and I don't think I ever saw her without an apron. My other grandma was a Mexican dancer--can I have an ole? She rarely cooked but when she did, it was an event. Comprende?

Ahhh...thanks for sending me down Memory Lane.

By the way, is that really Dr. Feelgood in the background? Hahaha--too funny!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I couldn't wait to get home from school every day and sit with Grandma on her front porch (she lived across the street from us). A snippet of her sassy character almost always hobbles into my books. Though she died when I was in seventh grade, I'll never forget her. I loved her fiercely!

I sit out in our courtyard on a bench with my grandchildren, trying to build memories with them like Grandma made for me.

Great picture of Dave and his Grandma!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Keisha said...

Only my maternal grandparents were a part of my life. My parents both had to leave for work at 5am, so my grandparents got us ready for school every morning. At 5am, we would have both our grandparents up with us watching the Disney Channel (they subscribed to it for us, BEFORE it was included with basic cable). I still have fond memories of my grandfather watching the original Mickey Mouse Club with us, and nothing beats a grandma and grandpa doing Mousercise.

Every morning we had grits, eggs, bacon, sausage, and home fries for breakfast. At the tender age of 8, my grandpa turned myself and my little brother on to our present addiction to coffee.

But most importantly, more than our own parents, my grandma and grandpa taught us that the sky was the limit and there was nothing in this world that we couldn't achieve.

Grandpa is no longer with us, but somehow Grammy is still hanging on at 75. She doesn't Mousercise anymore, but her presence still lets me know that I can do anything.

I think grandparents are special gifts that God blesses us all with, so we have something to fall back on when parents forget how awesome their grandparents were.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Grammy and I have a special bond. My mom worked part-time when I was a baby, and after trying to take me to work with her (I cried constantly-demanding to be held. No sticking me in some kiddie coop alone, i wanted attention!) it was decided that Grammy would take care of me. Because of that wonderful decision, my Grammy and I are so close! My earliest memories include her, and I know I would be a completely different person without her influence in my life. Now that I'm away at college, she sends me comics and wonderful letters, and I call her often for a good 30+ minute chat.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger eileen said...

I had a grand grandmother and now understand why she doted on me. I have a FIRST grandchild now. wow. He can get me to run races, that's for sure.

If you need Trevor pictures, just let me know!! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz