Girls Write Out
Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Heroes. Our stories are full of them. We’ve got our basic alpha males, the self-assured, cocky types, aka Mr. All That, the beta types, the Nutty Professors, the Felix Ungers—well, you get the idea.

My true to life hero pretty much encompasses all of the above at one time or another. He’s got a little bit of everything rolled up in that skin of his and I wouldn’t trade him for all the young-un’s sproutin’ peach fuzz in the world.

This morning my “hero” was a sight to behold as he walked out the door to face his last day of school (he’s a principal). Setting aside his brown paper bag (filled with today’s lunch), he shrugs on his black/red jacket (NYLON), red helmet, and black/red gloves. We go through our morning ritual where I say, “Go get ‘em, Tiger,” and he responds with a “grrr” that sounds like that trill thing that Bob Hope had going on in the good old days.

Looking every inch the tough guy, my man gives me one of those Humphrey Bogart see-you-later-baby looks, grabs his lunch bag, and then with all the hunky charm of John Wayne, walks over to his Harley—um, I mean, Helix, and climbs aboard. Now for those of you who don’t know, a Helix is not a Harley. Well, maybe Harley in grade school. That’s right, it’s a scooter—to which my hero quickly points out: “but it will go up to 70 miles per hour.” Well, sure. The speedometer on my Taurus reads up to 180 too, but does that mean I should try it?

No.

Still, I let him live in his macho dream world. He thumps on the horn and waves. Now, let me just mention here this horn thing does not have the deep throaty sound of a semi. Think more along the lines of Herbie and you’ve pretty much got the idea.

I wave goodbye and Helix Man speeds off, kicking up a dust storm behind him. (Well, I did see two pebbles flip half an inch, just so you know.) He disappears into the morning rush hour traffic with little more than a brown paper bag and a motor with attitude. Will Hollywood call him for the main part in Mission Impossible IV? I’m guessin’, no. But he’s my hero--always has been, always will be. Why? Because he’s gentle, thoughtful, romantic, and, well, he takes me for mochas. There are other reasons, too, but shoot, I don’t have to tell you everything!

So, what do YOU look for in a hero?

Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:01 AM  
  Comments (8)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
8 Comments:
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Sabrina L. Fox said...

It's lovely how much you obviously love each other. A little comical too!

p.s. Has anybody ever told you you should write lady-lit? You sure have the voice for it! LOL

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Annie said...

oh goodness, I dont think my hero exists... as a single girl, my expectations for my prince are very high...i think sometimes a little unrealistically high... but anyway... i look for these things in a hero: kind, gentle, romantic, Christian, intelligent, understands my obsessions with starbucks/hollywood/movies/tv/chick lit/ hallmark cards and loves me for me...

maybe those aren't so unrealistic after all.... hmmm... but i wonder where the heck is this dream man???!!! I want him to sweep me off my feet and I'm getting impatient!!! :-)

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

You can read about my personal "hero" on my blog :) (subtle hint for SOMEONE to read it and comment! ...) :)
http://poodlesandmore.blogspot.com/

In regards to heroes in general: we talked with kids in our youth group not too far back and we tried to help them "redefine" hero from Shaquille O'Neal who defines "talent" to the church's military devotee, Dan, who defines "hero" as he goes back for term #2 in Iraq. It was neat to see the kids change their list of heroes at the end of the meeting.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Sabrina! I think I have been told that before. ;-)

I like to read about the alpha male IF the author shows me his sensitive nature too. Have him get a stray dog out of the street or something. He's got to have some redeeming quality, because that ego thing just makes me crazy.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

That's cool that you talked about that in youth group, Jaime! Kids today get a distorted view of what constitutes a real hero. Great that you talked about it with them!!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Mine's much like yours. He rides a big yellow Honda, but mine's mostly gray now, except for his eyebrows. LOL He wishes his mustache would have stayed like his eyebrows. But, yeah, he's my hero. Of course sometimes, he's too close to the Felix Unger type. LOL

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humor gets me and also putting Christ at the top of life.

It's weird cuz I still get crushes on the mysterious goodlooking guys, but ultimately I wouldn't want that in a guy. Mystery and silence, I mean. At least not too much. I think it's something I've picked up from romance novels and movies.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Betsy St. Amant said...

My hero has to be supportive! And luckily, my sweet Hubby is all that and more! =) He not only lets me have writing time, but gives me the occasional shoulder rub at the computer and ALWAYS keep me stocked up on Nerds - my favorite "brain food"!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz