Girls Write Out
Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Well, while Di is quarantined at home with drawn-on lips, I'm trying to get into the swing of summer. With no drive to school and back, gone are my daily trips to the local coffee shop for my cinnamon latte (waah . . . waah!). Not to mention my quiet 6 1/2 hours for writing.

This morning, after two weeks with the kids home, I began writing chapter one of my next book. It started well--the kids were still in bed. Then they woke up and needed breakfast. Then a fight broke out between the youngest two. There was yelling and screaming. When I finally settled down, I re-explained my need a couple hours of quiet (Mom has a line . . .)and returned to my story.

I can't remember what I was thinking when I left my computer much less what my protagonist was thinking. I hear the annoying drone of my son's light saber in the other room. What was my protangonist doing? Was she about to board her Starfighter and invade a distant planet? Wait. I smack my head. I'm writing a love story set on Nantucket.

A few paragraphs later, my youngest son wants to watch a movie--would I start Spongebob for him? I weigh the cost. Con: three minutes from my writing. Pro: A possible hour and a half of silence. I start the movie and return to my computer.

Now, where was I? Let's see, my antagonist was considering some kind of plot. . . a plot to rule the world . . . by stealing the recipe for the Crabby Patty? No, no, no! Turn the TV down, please!

Three hours and countless interruptions later, I have five pages and a raging headache. Then I remind myself that my boys are my most important job. Writing is secondary. At the end of the day, the kids matter more than my work. I save my pages and walk away from the computer. Hey, anyone want to go bowling?
Denise Hunter  
posted at 8:13 AM  
  Comments (13)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
13 Comments:
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I feel so much better now. I've been battling fighting kids all day.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

What is it these days with fighting kids? My kids did too but I don't remember much fighting at all when I was growing up, not even among my three brothers. Of course we were outside most of the day with the horses, ponies, pigs and chickens. And we had a treehouse that was fabulous.

Did you all fight with your siblings?

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I just took our oldest son to camp for the summer where he'll be a lifeguard until the middle of August. No mouthiness!! Yay!

I'm used to daily bickering among my daycare kids, so summertime gives me a slight reprieve when my boys are available to give me a hand.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger allen etter said...

ANNOYING DRONE? LIGHT SABER? That thing rocks. But alas, even my son's "stormtrooper" blaster can be a tad bothersome when trying to write.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

My brother and I rarely fought, Colleen, but his way of handling tension was to just ignore me. I think, looking back, I'd prefer the fighting and a little bit more attention! :) LOL

I don't have kids so you can come to my house Denise and I'll take your kids bowling for you. :) LOL
Just might cost you a plan ticket to WI but that's minor, right? :)

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman said...

Man - I SOOO empathize with this. Son AND Husband (both grown men!) are home around here since April. The ONLY peace and quiet I get is in the bathroom! I'm thinking of setting up a table in there for my bathroom!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

My family is going camping for two days!! WOOOHOOO!! (In case it isn't obvious, I don't camp) So I'm home for two days ALONE and I'm writing, writing, writing -- maybe watching a little HGTV. : )

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I am so glad God waited until my kids were grown to give me the call to write. It's bad enough with a 130 puppy who comes into my office and barks in my ear when he wants to play. At least I don't feel guily when I send him out. At least not too much.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

C, most siblings argue. They didn't coin the term sibling rivalry for nothing. I had one sister I never fought with though.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Maybe it's because I had all brothers, D. LOL I was the oldest so they did what I told them.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!! Now I know it's not just something wrong with me. I'm home all day, every day with my two preschool boys, and now that it's summer the oldest two are home all day too. Even when it's just the little boys, it's so hard to find time to write.

I'm willing the summer to pass quickly. DH is deployed and comes home in September or October! Maybe I can carve out a moment's peace when I'm not single parenting.

:)

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Have to ROFL over sibling arguing. My sister and I used to fight over washclothes! I would think she'd stolen my washcloth and would go on a rampage. As adults, we've decided my mom actually took them off the racks and washed them. {snort}

About six months ago, I came across my 2 dds fighting over a bath towel. . . yep, they'd skipped right over the face clothes and gone straight to the towel {grin}

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love what you said at the end of your post.
Your Kids come before your work.
"Who wants to go bowling!"
That is a wonderful way to look at it. :) Blessing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz