Girls Write Out
Wednesday, August 27, 2008


When the going gets tough...survivors go home again.

I was so excited for Beth to see her birthday card this year. We buy each other the rudest cards because we grew up together and have the sickest sense of humor. A few years back, she bought me one that made fun of Mardi Gras and it said something like we don't take our shirts off for cheap baubles -- it takes real money. Her mother, who is nearing 90, said, "Are you going to send that to Kristin? What will Bryed (my DH) say?" But here's the great part. I sent her the same card before she could send it to me and her mother rolled her eyes and told her there was something wrong with us girls. Well, we know that! That's why we've been friends for 35 years!

So this year, I was so proud of my card. I couldn't wait for her to open it. It was rude, obnoxious and yet oh, so subtle. And she opens it and says, "Oh I love this card. I bought it for my secretary." I felt cheated. But this is how you know Beth is my soulmate. I bought her these DARLING Italian patent leather flats, with little cow suede on the toes. She's wearing black slides and she says, "Do you want to go to DSW? I have to get black shoes for work." And I totally understood. They're so not the same thing!

So Beth's card had Olivia Newton John from "Grease" on it. And said, "I hope your birthday is great because chang-chang-changity-chang-sha-bop, that's the way it should be." Then she signed it, WAH HOO YEAH! Makes you want to sing doesn't it?

I started showing my kids "Freaks and Geeks" a one season, but FABULOUS show she bought me last year on DVD. It is so our humor, and my boys laughed out loud. Their favorite line? "You can't ask Cindy to the dance. She's a cheerleader. You've seen Star Wars 27 times. Do the math!" Another warped generation coming right up!
Kristin  
posted at 4:07 AM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

My daughter is my soulmate (well, after hubby), but she and I always seem to think alike. It's kind of scary. Just yesterday, she was leaving a message on my answering machine when I was calling her from my cell phone. We start to say the same things all the time. So weird! :-)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Teen Daughter and I are soulmates too. What does that tell you about my (in)ability to grow up?

Anyway, we both stay up way too late mostly so we can mock the buyers on House Hunters ('our dogs would just love this space...'), or some other show du jour. And we always seem to be eating nachos while doing it...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

LOL! That sounds a lot like my college roommate and me. We get each other the offbeat humor cards each year, and so far, we haven't repeated or duplicated one, but her fiance and my husband just shake their heads. :)

I've never had a friend for a long time, but right now, I have 2 who know just about everything about me and still love me. As the years pass, it's comforting to see our friendships remain intact. After spending my childhood without a best friend, I don't mind having started a friendship after high school that's lasted for 10 years. It's a record for me!

Shame they live so far away now. :( But at least I have soulmate hubby here. And a new friend in Kim Woodhouse.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

It's so great to hear about these great bonds. My mother and her friends now travel together, and it just sounds like so much fun! Someday...

I mean, I'm all for traveling with my DH, but really, I want to lay on the beach and go shopping. They're aren't many straight men who would call that a vacation. LOL

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little off-topic but I just have to comment on Julie's House Hunters remark. Love that show but hubby and I love to laugh at EVERY single episode when the house hunters say "this will be great for entertaining". Everyone on that show loves to entertain. I relate more with Joyce Meyer who admits she'd rather socialize elsewhere than entertain in on her own house. Guess they'll never be putting me on an episode of House Hunters any time soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz