I've been doing a lot of radio interviews lately, thanks to publicist Jeane Wynn, and thought I'd share a few tidbits I've learned along the way. (i.e. the hard way).
1. Turn off call waiting before going on air.
2. Stay hydrated to avoid Dry Mouth Syndrome.
3. Do not do interviews on cell phones unless you want awkward silences punctuated by overlapping voices, punctuated by awkward silences then overlapping voices and on and on for twenty painful minutes.
4. Too much fluid before the interview and you'll have more on your mind than answering questions. :-/
5. Note to self: Keep notes handy in case mind goes blank. It will.
6. Children and live radio do not mix.
7. Do not drink carbonated beverages while doing interview.
8. Have a fun story you default to in case interview takes a boring turn.
9. Do not drink Rock Star prior to interview which is both carbonated and loaded with caffeine. If you do drink Rock Star, pace while talking. Better still, jumping jacks.
10. When possible, do interviews with friends. It's a party waiting to happen.
The above photo is a radio interview with WBCL in Indiana. We had a blast!
Labels: inteviews, radio, WBCL