Girls Write Out
Thursday, February 05, 2009

Love is in the air!

My man tried to keep his Valentine's Day surprise from me, but I weazled it out of him.  I don't normally do that, but he said we were going somewhere, and sometimes, that just scares me. I never know exactly what that might mean, and well, I have grandkids to think about. Do I want to be gone for days on end without any communication with the kids? I think not.

So here's the plan. He's taking me to one of our favorite places to eat (out of town) and a nearby Inn to stay all night AND--and oh my goodness, this is a biggie--he's scheduled me for a massage!!! Whooohooooo!!! I haven't had a massage since before my surgery in November of 2007!!!  

Now, it's true my man is thoughtful when it comes to gift-giving and not all men are geared that way. The truth is, though, we have many celebrations with merely a card. It doesn't matter to me as long as he remembers SOMETHING.  I would settle for a bologna sandwich that he made the effort to put together for me (since cooking is not his thing).  Anything that shows me that he thinks I'm special to him, you know?

That's what I try to do when I create my heroes. Yes, I want them a bit rugged, callused and scarred, all that manly stuff (did you hear Tim the Toolman just grunt?), but nothing melts me more than when hubby does something out of the ordinary, a phrase, a glance, whatever, that means something only to the two of us. That's what I want my heroes to do, too.

So what is your love language? Is it gifts? The extra time? The burnt sacrifice on the dinner table? What?

Diann Hunt  
posted at 8:22 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Amber Zimmerman said...

The gifts. . .My love language is gift giving. I think that's because of dad. =) He kinda spoiled me in that way. . . poor Kyle. Lol!

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not married, but my love language for anyone is serving: washing the dishes because I feel like crying just looking at all those dirty cups, or helping me with ideas because my brain is going to burst because there is NO WAY that my protagonist is going to get out of his sticky situation. (My parents and friends love helping me with that one!)

The way I show love, though, is giving. I like surprising friends with a book in the mail, or encouraging the poor coffee girl at Starbucks. This is weird because I'm actually not big on getting things. (Unless it's my birthday. ; )

That's so sweet of your husband to treat you to a massage on Valentine's! Happy dining, snuggling, and...um, massaging?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Hmm, is there a language of being taken out to eat? LOL

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

You're right, Amber, your dad does spoil us, doesn't he? ;-)

Hannah, that's very cool. I love to give things to people too. I enjoy giving much more when it's random, unexpected and all that. It's fun to brighten someone's day--like you do the Starbucks girl!

I soooo think eating out is a love language, Colleen! *g*

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Barb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Mine is quality time, which means to me, going to a foreign-language film, play or the like. Our first movie was "Dances with Wolves", which I absolutely HATED! Luckily, he made up for it with monthly plays in San Francisco before we were married. : )

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Mine is words. Bring on the words. Tell me you think I'm great :)

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Me too, Suzanne!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Never2manybooks said...

I speak and love all love languages. But, my favorite is service. My hubby takes care of the dishes every night after dinner He clears the table (makes teenage sons help) takes care of leftovers and loads the days dishes in the dishwasher. In the morning he unloads the dishwasher and loads up any dishes that accumulated overnight (2 teenage sons-so there are lots of them!) He schedules the running of the dishwasher around my beloved bath. If the water is too cold in the bath, he has been known to boil extra hot water on the stove. Boy I sound spoiled don't I. The fact that he does all this with a smile is a beautiful reminder everyday that I am truly loved. My boys see daily that love is so much more than words.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Wow! Never2manybooks--your husband is setting a WONDERFUL example for your sons! Kudos to him for leading the way--serving you Jesus-style!!! Whooohooo!!!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

For me it's when he dries up the dog drool and picks up the ... uh ... other end. :) I hate doing that stuff. I know, it's a sick love language, but when you have a horse for a dog, what are you gonna do?

Rachel Hauck stayed with me for a couple of days and spoiked him worse. The dog, not the husband. :D

BTW, Di, you got me back into crocheting. I'm working on another afghan in all fall colors.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Whoohoo, Ane!!! We'll have to have a crochet/knitter's corner at the next conference!!!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz