Girls Write Out
Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Sun Will Come Out, Tomorrow!

I know Diann and I have mentioned that we are the people things happen to, right? We're like God's comic relief?

My kids have the week off and all their friends went to Hawaii, Mexico and other magnificent places. We went to Auburn, CA. Okay, it's way better than living there (which I did for three years only to find out what I have known all along, I am not a country chick!)

We had a great time. Mommy waited on us. I spent the day with Grandpa and you know, it doesn't get any better than that. Interestingly, when doing the Financial Peace book, my husband's first memory of money is his grandma giving him a dollar and him running down the hall to hide it. My first money memory is my Grandpa buying me a suede, Indian purse with little feathers hanging off of it and putting some money in it. I think that should definitely be an area of discussion before marriage. Bryed learned to hide his money away (invest), I learned that if you open up a beautiful handbag, someone who loves you more than life will drop money in it. : ) I still have the purse, incidentally.

Anyway, I saw Shopoholic. LOVED IT!!! The best chick flick in a LONG time because the heroine is not a slut! I actually cried because at the beginning, all he other girls are getting pretty, sparkly shoes and she gets ugly brown clodhoppers that are practical. That was way too close to home. My mom was next to me. She laughed. She goes, "I think you had those exact same shoes."

How is that funny?

I did. They were Buster Browns. Grandpa bought them for me at Macy's. I still remember the horror when he picked them up, "No, not those. Not those! Anything but those!" Pair them up with a Grandma-homemade mini skirt and my stick legs, and I was destined to be the source of comic relief. God had a plan.

Which brings me back to my lipstick on a pig story. We came home from Auburn and found that the constant rains had penetrated the bottom floor and we had a sopping carpet. I had just refinished my upstairs floor by hand, and I told my husband, "Lipstick on a pig" when I saw the downstairs. I should have brought my little purse for Grandpa to fill, don't you think? Ack! Today should be fun. Four kids, a dog AND a wet carpet. : )
Kristin  
posted at 11:03 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh my goodness, your post cracked me up, Kristin! I LOVED "Confessions of a Shopaholic"!!! What a GREAT movie!

When you said Buster Browns, I laughed out loud. I remember them well. Only difference is, I'm still wearing them . . . .

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I had Buster Browns too but back when I was wearing them, ALL the kids had them! LOL

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Ah, sturdy shoes. The bane of my existence. LOL

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think I'm missing a certain girl-gene. I look at a pair of shoes, and think, "will this go with everything in my closet?" My sister is the exact opposite. When we would play with Barbies as kids, mine never had shoes because I'd lost them all. My sister's were all naked (she was too little to figure out how to dress them), but they were always wearing shoes!

Good luck on the carpet situation, Kristin. Yikes! I don't even know what you do in that situation? Does that mean you have to get new flooring or can they somehow be cleaned? But your work on the hardwood looks gorgeous.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Well, here's what you do if anyone wants to know. You pull up the carpets to the concrete, spray it with antiseptic (professionals do this) You remove the walls and you let everything air out, while you fix the outside (different contractor). And it will take about a month before it's livable down there. ACK>

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Well that should be a nice little project for you. Wouldn't want to have too much free time. :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

I had Buster Browns, too, for "flat feet." Ugly. Very ugly. It was embarrassing to have to wear them.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini said...

I loved Shopaholic too--although I wanted to wring that chick's neck at times!!! But the opening scene WAS way too close to home--for my daughters, Lol...

This is why they saved up all year for our trip to NYC last fall--H&M, Kira Plastanina, Macy's, yeah we hit as many as possible.

Anyway, Teen daughter bought the coolest black suede boots out there. When someone in CA squealed over them and asked where she got them, she batted those pretty eyelashes and said, "Oh these? I picked them up in New York." I kid you not!

p.s. sorry to hear about the carpet. ack.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Buster actually made the first pair for me. They're that old. lol

Did you find your purse you wanted?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz