Girls Write Out
Tuesday, February 10, 2009

WHAT LOVE WILL DO
I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I've been on the toughest deadline of my career and it will be that way until June. Plus I've been doing the paperwork for getting Dave's dad into an Alzheimer's care facility and also evaluating those facilities with my sister-in-law. I've had NO time for weeks. But love makes you find time for what you really want to do. Alexa had this favorite toy at daycare. It's called a taggie. It's just two pieces of flannel sewn together with ribbons sticking out the edges, but she just LOVED it. So her mommy asked me if I could make her a couple for home. Of course I said yes! How hard could it be, after all? Like I said, it's just a square with ribbons.

Well, to start off with, it had to wait for an evening because of above mentioned deadline. Once I hit braindead mode last Monday, I got out the flannel, cut it to size and began to pin the ribbons in place. Dave meandered in. "You've got those ribbons on there wrong," he said. I looked. He was right. "I was struggling with figuring out how to put them so they stick out when the blanket is turned inside out," I said. "They should go this way." He showed me. I thanked him and turned them all around, then took the taggie upstairs to my sewing machine which had'n't seen the light of day in, oh about ten years. LOL I put the flannel under the presser foot and realized even Dave's suggestion wasn't right. I carried it back downstairs. "This is still wrong," I announced. Between the two of us we figured out that I had to have the rough edges up at the rough edges of the blanket with the ribbon loops pointing to the inside of the blanket. And the ribbon had to be BETWEEN the two pieces of flannel. I carried it back up and zipped it up on the sewing machine. Success! I turned it inside out and went to do the same to the second one.

Except now the sewing machine wouldn't pull the fabric through. After struggling with it for half an hour, I called in the big gun--Dave. My hubby can fix anything. Sure enough, he took it apart and cleaned out a fistful of dust and material dust. No kidding! I told you the sewing machine had just sat there for years. Didn't take long after that to zip the second taggie together but an hour job had taken all evening. But it was soo worth it! Look at the expression on my angel's face and you'll agree that it would have been worth it if I'd lost a whole day of writing! Priorities! LOL

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:18 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

There's nothing left of me to melt any further! I'm already a puddle from your last pictures. :)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Ok, you definitely win Grammy of the Year award.

My nephew loves tags on clothes, blankets, pillows. He's almost 11 and still falls asleep playing with a tag.

I'm not sure if it's the sensory awareness kids receive from the tags or what, but they love them.

Kudos on figuring out how to get the tags to go in the right direction. :)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Alexa just stuffs those tags in her mouth. She loves to feel them. Isn't that funny? I'm learning all kinds of new things about babies I'd forgotten. LOL

I melt at that picture too, Jaime!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

While visiting another site, I found instructions on taggie blankets in case someone else is interested in making one. Here's the link:

http://www.chicaandjo.com/2008/07/22/make-your-own-taggie-blankets/

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Now why didn't I think to look it up, Lisa? LOL I'm a pretty good seamstress and thought I could do it on the first try. I've been out of sewing toooo long. Thanks for this!

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, she's so sweet! Her bright eyes turning up at the corners, and her happy smile...no wonder you get distracted writing! Congrats on figuring out how to sew her new blanket -- to you and Dave.

And blessings on your new deadline.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Anna said...

This way I don't sew. lol

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Priorities is right. Sometimes you have to break from the deadline. It's a hard balance, isn't it?

I'm sure your little angel will love her toys. She's a lucky girl!


Rachel

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I wish I could get my sewing machine to work. I pulled the dust out and it's still clunking and not making the stitches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz