Girls Write Out
Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Growing up the younger sister of a mentally disabled brother. My parents taught me that everyone has value, not by what they said, but what they did. My mother fought the county for programs on my brother, she actually worked in the system and learned how to get Gary exactly what he needed.

So the other day I blogged something about Katy Perry (I love that song "Waking Up in Vegas". I have never been to Vegas outside the airport. Never stepped foot on the strip. But someone mentioned that she grew up a preacher's kid and now she...well, she doesn't act like a preacher's kid.

This is exactly the kind of person I want to see find a real faith. When I watch Britney Spears go from boyfriend to boyfriend, looking for love -- when I watch her father take care of her for money, my heart just grieves. A parent doesn't get paid to take care of their child! No one is paying my parents to take care of my 46 year-old brother!

Now you may not think of Katy Perry or Britney Spears as underdogs, but there are so many people out there who are more emotionally fragile than the next guy (artistic bent perhaps?) and to watch them go from person to person, in a "Are you my Mother?" sort of way gets to my soul.

When I watched "Intervention" or "Obsessed" I see people with softer natures, who couldn't handle what life threw at them. And life throws some awful things at people. Drugs, alcohol, obsessions...they soothe that voice. Until they destroy them. I have seen people be very heartless towards these types, like "I would never drink!" "I would never fall into drugs."

Well, then you're equipped for that battle and you'll fight another one. But I really desire to know people's heart. I find when I write, I am terrible at physical descriptions. I don't notice if people change their hair or lose weight because that's just their shell. How's their heart doing?

Honestly, I am so glad for doctors like Daniel Amen, who are showing on brain scans that people with anxiety, their brains are lit up like a Christmas tree and can't utilize their rational minds all the time. When we attach motive or call something a weakness, it may not be the case. It may be the harsher part of their strength. Leo Tolstoy was a self-righteous jerk who gave away all his money and forced his wife to live like a pauper, then wouldn't let her anywhere near him on his death bed. But Anna Karenina is an 800 page book about one man's journey to Christ.

Michelangelo was a wealthy man, but he lived among rats and garbage because he was so cheap, he couldn't spend the money on himself to live decently. He was said to be a desperately unhappy man obsessed with anxiety over death/salvation issues.

Mozart was said to have a dependent personality and erratic, manic work schedules who could not handle money or the mundane issues of life.

People pay mightily for being different. I think it's less of a choice than they'd like.

Labels: , , , ,

Kristin  
posted at 10:44 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

It's just like in our fiction though. People admire strength and we make sure our heroines are strong. When we see people being weak, our first thought is to tell them to straighten up, no matter what it is they're doing.

But we all have stuff we deal with. It's just different for every person.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

I am so glad you posted about this. As a survivor of two abusive marriages. I used to get asked a lot, "why didn't you just leave?" Easier said than done.

People are so quick to judge and point the finger. And always have great advice. Words are cheap but action speaks volumes.

Jesus was moved with compassion and wept. God never gave up on the Israelites even though they continually rebelled. All because of their love.

Love is very powerful and it can move mountains.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Lynette Sowell said...

I love flawed characters that can change, even though it's painful. I know my MIL endured 10 years in an abusive marriage until she finally decided enough is enough, packed up kids & suitcases, and jumped on a bus to her family in Colorado. She knew something had to change in her life and took the painful steps. I root for that! To me the famous/infamous living less than fruitful lives and covering it up with glitz--well, it's sad. I don't have much in the world's eyes, but I can sleep at night. And if I can't, I call on Someone who help me until I do...

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Brittanie said...

Kristin
Did you read This is Your Brain on Joy by Dr. Earl Henslin?

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

People are interesting, aren't they? It's interesting to learn about personalities. It helped me understand my children better over the years.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I've seen Dr. Amen on PBS. All I could think was "Wow! That explains that!"
Well said Kristin.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

My niece has special needs and I can't begin to tell you what a blessing she is to us. She has taught me how to appreciate each day and to find joy in the simple things.

We all have issues that affect us, whether or not we admit to them. Loving like Jesus and giving grace goes a long way in accepting people for who they are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz