Girls Write Out
Thursday, October 01, 2009
Wow, this past week has been a whirlwind, learning to blog, learning Facebook, learning Twitter and figuring out a Tweet Deck. Is that how it's spelled? And then, once a person is signed on, what's she supposed to twitter about? I like the 140 character limit. Editing your work. Yeah! My most favorite part of the writing process. Seriously. I know that's weird, but you love Colleen, and it's her favorite part, too.

But as I talked to Mel about it the other night, explaining all these choices I have to make and wondering what to blog about, and what hasn't already been done to death, what proposal I needed to send out next, he asked me, out of the blue, "Sweetheart, I could be the best neurosurgeon in the world, but what good would I be to a woman in labor?"

You have to understand Mel. He just blurts things out like this and expects me to get it. He's smarter than me. I admit it freely. He's also younger, hunkier and has a slightly better mustache...

Anyway, what he meant was, I must know my reader and be able to meet their reading needs from my own experiences. That can be done in several ways. Colleen meets my need for danger, intrigue and excitement, Denise for powerful romance and a strong sense of place, Kristin for knee-slapping, stomach-hurting laughter, and Diann for laughter and tears and "aha!" moments.

I know my readers, because they've already bonded to something I've written in the past, such as the pain of divorce, the fear of a medical emergency, the need for acceptance and love, the temptation to sin, the agony of guilt. But what next? Publishers are looking for historical, and I have an historical medical romantic suspense series proposal completed. People also like small town contemporaries, and I am working on a series set in rural Missouri drawn around a homeless rehab center, with lots of quirky characters finding love and medical aid as they struggle back into the mainstream of life.

I love the idea of the contemporary homeless rehab center--with suspense, of course. I also love the idea of a woman doctor in 1844 chasing her husband's murderer west. Any ideas? Which do you prefer?
Hannah Alexander  
posted at 10:15 PM  
  Comments (14)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
14 Comments:
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm intrigued by your idea of a woman doctor in 1844 chasing her husband's murderer west. Sounds like it will be a great story.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

Hi Cheryl --

The historical 1844 murder mystery sounds intriging. I have to admit, though I am hooked on contemporary books. Not exclusive, just my favorite.

I look forward to ANY book you write!

Cheri

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Cheri said...

Oh, Cheryl --

As a reader, what questions would you like to receive from us? I am finally relaxed enough to not obsess over editing -- not my favorite thing to do, no matter even if it is in just posting!

Cheri

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Never2manybooks said...

I like the homeless shelter book idea-I am not a fan of historical fiction. So glad to see you n the blogs. I have long been a fan!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Oh, Cheryl, I loved your description of Mel! (Especially, the slightly larger mustache part!) ROTFLOL!!

Anyway, I love both ideas, and I'm not much of a historical reader these days--still, the 1844 woman chasing her husband's murderer west sounds really good too!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger hotcoffeenow said...

Not a fan of historical anything. Is that really what publishers want to put out there? Have I been under a rock? Is historical popular with anyone oher than book clubs? (which, btw, is the reason I quit my book club - ugh. That and because most of the people in it had the personality of a prune)
No wonder I'm having a tough time finding books to read.....lol

cheryl

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Great answers to my questions. It seems the major consensus is contemporary. It's always been my favorite to read and write, but I will read a good historical.

I loved the description of book clubs with personalities of prunes. LOL!

Cheri, ask any questions you wish.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

Welcome to GWO, Cheryl! I've been a regular reader of your fiction because I, too, am a wife of an ER doc(and know exactly what you mean about the things they say...) I think you'll fit in here just fine, too, so no worries!

I LOVE the idea of a woman doctor chasing her husband's murderer west, and you seem to be going in the direction of historical romance? Anyway, I just love historical Western romances, so that would be my vote.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

I am DIE HARD historical fan!! UGH!! Please don't NOT write the historical suspense... for readers like me! :)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL! Now it seems the pendulum is swinging the other direction. Well, that historical is being marketed now. If someone wants it, I'll take that as my answer. If someone chooses the contemporary first, then that'll be the one I'll write.

So great to know there's another ER doc's wife, Crystal! So you get the day's download of cases while you're trying to eat? Dinner Date with a Doc, A Dieter's Guide to Success. We could co-write. LOL!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

LOL!What's really fun, Cheryl, is when you get a whole table of them at a restaurant (and my husband can speak without a PA,) while diners around us are turning green. Since I used to be a first grade teacher, I shush them and say, "Let's use our 'out-in-public-voices/dialogue,' please."

(Someday I have to meet you. I'm an ACFW member, too.)

Oh, and Jaime and I know how to pray for your next story! (wink)

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That's a great word picture, Crystal. Another fun thing is to attend a medical staff banquet, complete with spouses, and invite a speaker from some faraway country who wants to show pictures of most interesting--meaning gross--cases while everyone finishes their meal. Dessert, anyone? AUGH!!!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Trekkie4Ever said...

I am very interested in reading about the woman doctor in 1844 chasing her husband's murderer. A definite read.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I go in spurts: history adn contemporary... just finished a historical series by Tracey Bateman and exploring a CA author, Cathy Marie Hake now... Love it so far. But I'm also addicted to contemporary chick lit, like Kristin's...

I work at a church so we get our fair share of homeless people walking in looking for food, so the homeless rehab one sounds fantastic, as does the 1844 medical murder mystery. Gilbert Morris' Cheney Duvall series about a female dr in post-civil war times is one of my favorite series of all time. So historical or contemporary... I'll read both! Especially since you're writing it! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz