Girls Write Out
Sunday, June 20, 2010

We all have our little secret shame. Mine affects my purchases, my comfort, shoot, sometimes it even controls my very movements.

But this year that will change. Yes, I'm going to do something about it. No longer will I cater to the embarrassment of . . . underarm flab.

It all started when I went shopping a few weeks ago for summer tops. It was already topping 90 degrees, and the sleeveless shirts beckoned me. "BUY ME!" they seem to shout from their dainty racks. "We'll keep you cool!"

The display mannequin in her cute breezy top mocks me with her slender, toned--and okay, fiberglass--arms. I reach toward the rack. The motion sends aftershocks down my tricep. I wake to reality and pull back. Sleeves it is. Not the cute little cap sleeves that are all the rage right now. Elbow length sleeves. I find some tucked in a corner of the department, pay, and slink from the store.

The next crucial moment came a week later while playing drums on Sunday morning. A drummer with arm flab. Not a good thing. My batwings nearly smacked the bass player in the face.

It was enough to inspire a new resolution. I am going to sport sleeveless shirts proudly, so help me! I am going to wear cute little cap sleeves this summer!

Resolute in my decision, I borrowed hand weights from my 11-year-old (Hey, I'm a beginner) and looked up exercises for this rebellious area. I am going tone these puppies if it's the last thing I do. And then I'm going to walk right up to that mannequin and snatch her cute breezy top right off her back--it'll look better on me anyway. Well, once my arms are under control.

Labels: ,

Denise Hunter  
posted at 9:46 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL. Oh, Denise, wait until you're in your fifties...many years from now. You'll just be glad you have arms that work. ;-)

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Denise, Those of us who have gained and then lost weight have batwings extraordinaire!! (I don't know if you are in that category, but I sure am...have lost 50 pounds so far. YIPPEE) Those batwings also come with age. Unfortunately, usually it is not flabby muscles but flabby skin that is the culprit. In that case, no amount of workouts will do much. Any flabby muscles will surely be well toned with such workouts but not the skin. And the older one is, the less elastic the skin is, making us less likely to bounce back to the lovely, toned arms of our teen years. Ahhh, the joys of growing older! (I know you are MUCH younger than I but 21 was still probably a couple of years ago for you!)

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Cheryl, I'm getting closer every day. LOL

Ruthie, I always feel for people with dramatic weight loss. You'd have to have all kinds of surgical tucks to deal with all the excess skin. Or move someplace cold. :-)

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I started reading this and thought it was written by Diann--no, Di, I don't think you have flabby underarms--but because of the humor!

I've just noticed recently how flabby my arms have become. No wonder I have no upper body strength.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

It strikes everyone. LOL Mine aren't any worse after my dramatic weight loss than they were though. Another hcg miracle! :-)

A friend on the hcg forum suggested this for me, D. Maybe you'll be interested too. http://www.amazon.com/Denise-Austin-PowerBelt-Walking-System/dp/B0009IB2P0

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Diane Marie Shaw said...

LOL, oh I so have this problem. I saw a picture that was taken of me a week ago with a sleeveless top, it was not a pretty picture. At my age (64 in 9days)what I have is what I am stuck with so...I apologize to the world, you will have to be grossed out by my flab because I am going to get over myself and wear the sleeveless tops, especially when we go to Florida next month for a family reunion.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Love what Hannah said :)I've lost 73 pounds this year, so mine are flappin' away, but hey, I'm 50, I'm happy I still have arms. I'm joining the proud, older crowd who doesn't care if my arms are baggy when I wear sleeveless tops!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

I'm trying to exercise in that area too, without aggravating my shoulders. Not the easiest thing to do!

Sure would love to see you shopping when you head toward that manikin. Look out! :)

Blessings,
Jodie

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, I am so with you!!
I've heard it's the easiest muscle to tone.
*good luck*

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Ha!Ha! This post was hilarious! :)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Sunny said...

I have a recommendation for you: Physique 57. These are the best workouts I've ever encountered. If you don't want to do the DVDs, look them up online. They have some of their workout moves on the internet from tv appearances they have made. Pilates with a stretch band is also effective. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz