Girls Write Out
Monday, July 19, 2010
We've all read the stories of the grandmas who are going bungee jumping, parasailing, and other crazy things. I used to snicker. When I was 30. Who wants to do something like that when they're old? At least that was my younger self's thoughts. But now I'm on the upper end of the 50s and you know what? I don't feel 58. My former pastor Steve Parks always says the soul doesn't age. It's the same as when you are first conscious of who you are. And I think he's right. I don't feel any different now than when I was the age of my kids here in this picture.

So you know what? I'm about to turn into one of those adventurous baby boomers. We're going to Hawaii with Kara and Mark and I'm going to try scuba diving. I heard you gasp. Yep, it's true. My son-in-law Mark is a scuba instructor and boat captain. Who better to teach me? I've wanted to learn before now, but I have that PFO hole in my heart that makes you more susceptible to the bends so I thought I couldn't dive. But Mark told me recently that I can. I just have to take extra long time coming up and not go too deep. I can handle that. Near the house we've rented is Koloa Landing, a perfect spot to try out shore diving and see how we like it. I love to snorkel so I think I'm going to love it. The question is will Dave? He's not the fish I am. I float when I'm in the water. If I try to dive down to see something on the bottom, my butt floats back to the top. LOL Dave sinks. But really, don't you think that will make him an even better diver? I'll have to load up on weights and he'll sink right to the bottom.

So I'm going to get to see all those gorgeous fish up close and personal. The next time I write a scuba scene, I will have actually experienced it first hand. I think I did a pretty good job culling the experiences of my kids in my Aloha Reef series but now I'll get to see it for myself instead of secondhand.

What about you? Do you have a dream that you've never tried? Want to go bungee jumping or parasailing? I won't say you're crazy. Admit you have a bit of daredevil in you. I won't even laugh if you tell me you've always wanted to take up knitting or learn to play the piano. What's stopping you? I think of those Home Depot ads lately. Let's have a little more DOING and a little less talking about it. I'm ready. Let's go! Let's talk about it and I just might put you in a book! :-)

Labels: ,

Colleen Coble  
posted at 9:12 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I'd love to go in a shark cage. Probably will never happen. Mostly because I'd either faint or wet my pants right before doing it.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I think floating is a female thing, Colleen. I float, too. Mel sinks like a rock. I had no trouble learning to swim. Mel's still learning. It's easy when you have built in floating devices.

One of my dreams is to bike or hike across Missouri on the KATY Trail--which used to be a railroad track--and sleep at bed-and-breakfasts at night.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to visit, or re-visit, every National Park in the country while traveling by train to get there...or at least nearby. My dad taught me to imagine what it was like for the first people who "discovered" these areas, to put myself in their place. I would like to experience that.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger jel said...

Sounds like ya are going to have some fun, take care

oh take a underwater camera with ya , you could get some great pics :)

Hannah, you are sooo funny
(bulit in floating devices) :)

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

I would love to go sky diving! What's stopping me well I'm afraid of heights!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

The hubs is an avid diver - at least he used to be when we lived in SoCal. But now, well who wants to dive in a muddy lake? LOL

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Diane Marie Shaw said...

Funny how I go through stages of being brave and being afraid.
I became a certified diver when I turned 60. What a trip it is to see what God has hidden under all that water.
I had a chance to go parasailing last week when we were in Florida but I chickened out.
I need to set a goal for a new challenge, I'll have to think on that.
Diane Marie

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Shark cage! Suzanne, you're my hero. LOL

I don't think it's all male or female though, Cheryl. My son is a floater like me. :-)

Ruthie, can I tag along? I LOVE the National Parks!

Jel, the kids have great cameras. I'll have them snap one of me to share!

Skydiving. Wow. I'm a chicken at the thought too.

Ane, we live in INDIANA for petes sake. But there are diving vacations to enjoy! Your hub needs to get busy again.

Diane! I bow at your feet!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Go for it, Colleen! I think that's GREAT!

Every year I set a tough goal for myself--something I haven't done before that is outside of my comfort zone (like doing a back-flip on the trampoline, doing a back dive, teaching AP, etc., etc.). This year I twirled a hockey stick to music in front of the whole school. I did it in a synchronized routine, with another teacher. Ha!Ha! Diving in Hawaii is a lot more romantic and exciting than hockey stick twirling. :)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I started knitting. Okay, so that's not so adventurous, but I tell you those yarns can get tangled!!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Cindy W. said...

I have wanted to love a real live Grizzly bear ever since the television show "Grizzly Adams"..many years ago. I met Dan Haggerty that played Grizzly Adams one day when he came into the television station I worked at, this was after the show had gone off the air). One of my co-workers told him I wanted to hug a grizzly. He started talking to me about 'Ben" the bear that was on the show and that he would try to see if he could arrange something. It never happened. I do realize that if I were to experience a real live bear hug it would most liking be the last thing I experience. I guess I just have to rely on bear hugs from my hubby!!

Have an awesome time in Hawaii Colleen!

Blessings,
Cindy W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz