Girls Write Out
Thursday, July 01, 2010

Switched at Birth?

I have a tomboy. How did that happen? I think it's payback for trying to give my practical mother makeup tips when I was a child. I don't like horses. But if I did, I would totally be into the English riding, and the cute boots/hat and fitted stirrup pants. I would definitely not be a Western rider in sloppy jeans, ugly boots and lots of dirt. But my daughter? She comes alive in the country. Her favorite thing to do is camp. (Where did I go wrong?)

This week she's in horseback riding camp. We went to a dude ranch once, so she's not afraid of horses and much to my dismay, mounted that horse and hasn't looked back. This is honestly the only sport/activity I've signed her up for that she has stuck with. She cannot wait to get to camp in the morning. She tells me all about the horses and she is begging for another camp (which incidentally was over $300 at a reduced city rate -- ouch!) All the horse property here in the Bay Area is either in Saratoga, Los Altos Hills or Woodside (think minimum price $3 million -- and that's for a dump there.)

So Elle, country girl at heart, wants a horse. I mean, she's willing to go when she's fourteen and shovel the stalls so she can ride and wishes she could do it now (she's ten this month) -- but do you see the irony here? I raise a girl who passes up pink at every occasion and opts for brown, who would rather wear boots that heels to play in -- and she's going to cost me more than a girly girl!!

Now Elle's not getting a horse, but I will be looking for more riding lessons and asking myself why? Why not figure skating? Why not tennis? Why dirt? Why rugged activity? I have three boys for that!! (Who are about as city as you can get. LOL)
Kristin  
posted at 10:42 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL! Too funny! Maybe they'll come out with a pink outfit for riders. :-)

Sweet picture! And very cool that she likes horses. You may turn to writing westerns one day! Okay, maybe not.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

The camp shirt (which she's wearing) was pink. I was happy for that. LOL That's her first mount of the week. You should see what a natural she is now. I won't even pet a horse, they make me nervous. LOL

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger adge said...

My mother says,"If she really has a passion for horses, she will either do it now or later, but she will stick with it." My mom did when her parents wouldn't let her have a horse, and to this day she still has horses.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Jaime Wright said...

oh Kristin ... I'd like to say I feel your pain... but I don't. ;) I think Elle and I would get along splendidly! LOL

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

There is an activity in horse riding called dressage which is like horse gymnastics. That's sounds girly to me!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Dressage sounds good. Too bad I'm scared of horses. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz