Girls Write Out
Friday, July 23, 2010


Have any of you seen the new reality show, "Boston Med"? It's a reality show that takes place in real hospital ERs and it reminds me of how fragile life on this planet is -- how caught up we can get in the minutia of life and miss the whole point.

Last night, there were two stories so raw, I had trouble watching them without my kids here safely. One, was a six year old girl, with no prior history -- having a heart attack and collapsing at school. The other was a man awaiting a heart transplant, who ultimately dies because his insurance wouldn't cover his trip when necessary. His family by his side, thanking him for his meaning in their life...the little girl coming through, but being fit with a defibrillator in case it happened again...

I ask you, what else matters when it's your loved one?

Life is not fair. You know how kids always want everything to be fair? "He got more than me!" I realized watching that show, we all want life to be fair, but ultimately, it isn't. The poor, the sick, they will always be with us. Growing up, my life was not fair. I had to grow up quickly having a sick brother. But it was a lot fairer than some, and ultimately, it made me a better person. A more independent person.

But if I wrote my story, I would be much better off. They're would be much less conflict and "plot points" to teach me valuable lessons. The truth of our lives and our mistakes create a richer human experience. I think God is onto something here. He writes the story of our lives like deep fiction -- whereas we'd create a fairy tale and end up without a character arc, don't you think? What do you marvel at over the human experience? What makes yours better?

The pic is my husband trying to make life fair for my "city" boys and show them the good life. Don't they look thrilled? LOL

Labels: ,

Kristin  
posted at 1:55 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I agree, life isn't fair. It isn't supposed to be. We're running a race complete with obstacle course--I've been on a rant about that lately--and how we respond to the obstacles make us into the people we will be. I have to keep reminding myself of this...and reminding...and reminding...

No, actually, Kris, the boys don't look happy in this picture. Homesick so soon?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

They're having fun, but I think they're done, that's all. It's not Houseboats where nature has their friends along, so they don't need Facebook. Is there anything much worse than being a teenager on a family vacation? LOL

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Often I am asked if I ever ask God "why." Why has so much happened to me? Why was it ME that got so sick? Why did I have to end up in a wheelchair? Why? Because life happens, that's why. I must admit that, though many days are difficult to get through, I have never asked God why. I don't know why I haven't asked "why?" but there you are. I guess it's because my life-long lesson is to trust God, no matter what. It's hard; believe me when I say that. Very hard. But I belong to Him and nothing will ever happen to me that causes permanent harm as long as He is on watch. Perhaps life doesn't seem fair but I have the feeling that it really is...we may not become what He wants us to be unless we go through trials. And isn't becoming like Jesus about the most wonderful and "fairest" thing we could do?!?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

That seems to be the best way to look at it, Ruthie. We have much more than this to look forward to. This is NOT the end, and you won't be in that wheelchair forever. You may have a finer appreciation than most for heaven.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I love Boston Med - I like that it shows the human side of the medical staff with their own families, etc.
what surpises me about the human experience is that one person's world can be totally stopped by the death of a child, etc, but the world actually still keeps going around them. It's so odd that one person can be in so much pain and other people are having maybe a fantastic day at the exact same moment.

My pastor calls facing adversity wrestling gators. He said the more gators we wrestle, the better people we become.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Ruthie, how can you help but ask the question though? I mean, I've been in a wheelchair from the MS. I face going back in, I know. It is hard not to think why me? I have all this to do. But have you ever noticed how people seem to get stopped in what they use the most sometimes? It's like God is saying rest in me. Not that it doesn't stink sometimes, I have to say.

Dawn, we do become better people in the end, but it's sure hard going thru those gators! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz