Girls Write Out
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
I know it's not wise to say "never," because once you say you'll never do something, that's exactly what you'll end up doing. So when I say I'll probably never get stuck in a rut in my life, that's surely going to happen. That said, however, it won't be easy for the rut. I get bored easily. I don't like to stay in one place, or look one particular way, for very long at a time.

Take my hair in the picture to the left, for instance. That isn't my natural color, in case you don't know. I'm not a redhead. I may be pretty gray by now, but that's another rut I don't want to get stuck in. From my earliest teens, I have colored my hair, changed the style, worn weird makeup and clothing. I've gone to class with green hair, gray hair, orange hair (not intentionally, just experimenting.) You may not be able to see it, but the glasses I'm wearing have red rims, complements of nail polish. I didn't like the color of the frames, so I changed the color. But I didn't get it straight, and so some of the polish reached the lenses, and it looks like a bad makeup job.

So, because of my need for change, I still have the dilemma I had a few blogs back. I have four proposals languishing in my laptop. Since I don't have a contract for any of them at this point, I'm trying to decide which one to work on. One of them is just right for a Hannah Alexander genre. It's a medical romantic suspense, familiar and easy to sell. I hope. But I've put a lot of work on that historical, marriage-of-convenience, as well. And then there's the proposal I sent out not too long ago for a straight romance with very little medical. That's new for me. And then, finally, the one that I doubt will ever sell is the medical women's fiction, purely about relationships.

How about you? Have you ever changed genres, either in what you write or in what you read, or career or hobbies? I don't think I'll do what Colleen's doing. I'll snorkel, but I probably won't go scuba diving.

What major changes have you made in your life? Clothing style? Vacation destination? Have you changed homes or tastes in men? What have you changed about yourself in your life?
How has that worked for you?

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 11:22 AM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I like to try new adventures! I love to travel and meet different people. But I'm scared to change things like hair. LOL Even with hairstyles, I'm a weenie.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Now that's unbelievable, Colleen. YOU afraid of ANYTHING? LOL. You'd look great in any hairstyle. Besides, if you get it cut short, it'll grow out quickly.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Kameko said...

I've change careers, more than once, and it was scary each time. I went from almost 15 years as a police dispatcher/supervisor to a billing associate with a telecom business. I loved my job but after five years, the office closed & I was left looking another job, so I went into the unknown again, this time ending up working for a general aviation aircraft title & escrow company and from there to my present location, which is a mortgage company! Each change was from necessity rather than choice & each change took me out of my comfort zone and into new territory for me. It's only been through God's strength that I've made each change with the success that I have.

Beverly

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger jel said...

I know change is good,
but i don't like it !

my middle name is chicken

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I've changed careers several times in my life, as well. My favorite is working with numbers (and, jel, I never like change, either. Not learning a new job). My very favorite job was as a proof operator at a bank, where I ran every single transaction of the day through a huge calculating machine to balance the bank. Punching numbers mindlessly all day long, getting the numbers to balance at the end of each teller's run. Now that's all automated, sadly.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I hate change! But I've had plenty of it the past few years. Change can be a good thing--if we learn and grow from it.

Routine is boring, right? :-)

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger jel said...

one of the jobs that i had I really liked was bee~in a presser for Lee jeans,

what i'm doing now can't be beat,

I've gone though alot of changes. and will go though many more, ;)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger jel said...

routine can bee a good thing too, esp for some people,

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yeah, Diann, routine is boring. But sometimes, I long for a boring day, when nothing is wrong, everything is working, and I don't have any challenges.

Jel, what you're doing now is awesome, if you're talking about the photography.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

The more I read your posts, the more I find in common with you. LOL.(Especially the writing aspect.) I get bored so easily and was just doing this very thing--trying to figure out what to focus on with manuscripts on my computer. I signed up for workshops at ACFW and already am wondering if I did the right thing!

And I love to change my hair/hairstyles, but my husband gets upset if I change the style and color. Sigh.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I think we have a lot in common, Crystal. And you can tell your husband that at least you're never boring. Mel tells me that a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz