Girls Write Out
Wednesday, August 04, 2010
I love to talk about writing because it's always fascinated me and I love the whole thought of creating something out of nothing. But do we really do that? Come up with a story, characters, situations, plot, from a vacuum? Only God can do that. We need props.

According to a news item I read yesterday, children who lied a lot when they were growing up have now been judged not to be dirty little sinners, but more creative, more intelligent, than their non-lying counterparts. Although that thought intrigues me, since I was one of those liars with a story for every situation, I still know that I was also a dirty little sinner. I lied to get out of trouble. Yes, I also made up stories, but I used many stories to my own benefit. I did, however, need my props.

For instance, there was the time I brought a friend home from school when my parents were both working. Grandma was there, but I bypassed her. I sneaked my friend out into the pasture to ride my horse--something I was never supposed to do when my parents were gone. Friend fell from horse. Grandma saw us, told my mom after my little friend had gone home. What did I do? I didn't want to be grounded from seeing my friend, so I told Mom it was another friend. Did I conjure my lies out of nothing? Of course not. I used the props at hand--my friend looked a lot like the other girl I blamed. Plus, I didn't like the other girl so much, so it didn't matter whether I saw her again. Grandma didn't buy it because she saw the girl, but even though she cried foul, Mom believed me. Her precious angel wouldn't flat out lie to her. I was a bad seed.

I still need my props. I think most writers on this blog create some kind of collage of characters for inspiration. I still have one of mine up on the wall from two years ago. Can't seem to take it down because I care about those characters and don't want to forget them, even though the unsold manuscript lies in my computer, only half completed.

I've harped on this before, but see the picture of the beautiful woman above? Most of you know that's our own Kris. Now, glance at a photo of a beautiful woman in a magazine or on television, and try to create a multi-dimensional character from that. What do you come up with?

Try it with Kris. You know her better. You read her blog every week, possibly more than one. You know something of her personality, and may know her as a close friend, as I do. How much deeper can you dig when you use a real character as a pattern for a character in your story? I realize that, at some point, your character on the page and the real Kris will have to diverge. Kris is impossible to keep on the page because she has her own mind and she simply refuses to stay there. But she can serve as a pattern for you long enough for you to develop your own character creation.

And then your character takes on life of her own, and she barely resembles Kris. Still, Kris has served as a mold for form and function, and makes your character stronger in the process. For a little while, you have almost seen from Kris Billerbeck's eyes. And of course, who wouldn't want to be as beautiful as she is?

Does this model of character creation work for you, or do you have your own methods of creating believable people in your story world?

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 9:52 AM  
  Comments (12)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
12 Comments:
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

ACK!!! Not what I wanted to wake up to. But if y'all can ever figure me out, you're ahead of most people. I don't think I'm figure outable. Unless you're my best friend because she is as mercurial as me.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, but we don't need to figure you out, we just need to extrapolate a character from your personality. Big different. LOL!!!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Plus, you're really cute. ;-)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

I love the stuff about little liars. I have friends who readily admit that they were compulsive liars as children...and, seriously, they are some of the best writers and creators that I know in the artistic world!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I usually have a picture in my head of my character FIRST then go looking for someone to fit her. LOL

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Hmmm, maybe most writers lied as children? Not accusing anyone of anything...

Colleen, did I ever tell you about the time I saw THE very image of one of my characters at the mall? I grabbed Mel and went running after her. But Mel prevented me from accosting her. Thank Mel for saving me from public humiliation.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I do the same thing Colleen. I look for a picture second. But I know great writers who do the opposite. I know that Robin Jones Gunn writes that way.

I was a little liar. My kids are little liars. Unfortunately for them, I was a better one, so they get away with nothing.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Pam Sanderlin said...

Sad to say, when I was a teenager, I exaggerated every story I told. It's not that I set out to lie, I just felt the need to embroider the truth to make it a better story.

These days I don't exaggerate so much... Ok, only occasionally. Still, lots of odd, funny stuff happens to me, according to my friends. Actually, they probably have the same odd things happening, it's just that unlike me, they don't see every event as a story or episode or humorous anecdote. :)

P.S. I like the picture, Kristin. :)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Then it seems you're a natural, Pam. Enjoy the active imagination, and hang out with others who share it.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I love, love, love this photo of Kristin. Wow, so great. I recognized her right away. She could be a model.

I guess I'm like Colleen in that I'll think of what the character is like, who she is, long before I "see" a picture of her.

I could never lie, either, but I was a good actress (and even won awards for it,) so that's the approach I've had.

The minute I would tell a lie, exaggerate or try to cover up, I was had because my eyes always gave it away. Alas.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Crystal, I'm sure that if my mother had been able to read body language, she'd have picked up on my lies. So glad you're a truth teller!

Yes, Kris is drop-dead gorgeous in that photo.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Thank you girls, but it's all in the lighting, and talented photographer. Wish you could see me right now, with my daughter-painted red nails in my yoga pants. I'm a beauty. LOL

I can't act at all Crystal. I admire you there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz