Girls Write Out
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Meet my webmaster/assistant, Eugene. As you can see, he tends to be shy about having his picture taken, but he can really use a camera!

A few weeks ago, he sent me a private post sharing a concern that the picture I'd used on that week's blog might not be legal because it had come via email from an unknown source. Since I had run low on my own photos, I tried another source, and that didn't work out, either, so now Eugene will be providing most of my blog photos.

One of our GirlsWriteOut members, jel, also does fabulous photography, and she has also offered to let me use her photos. Jel, would you please remind us of your website again? If anyone has missed seeing her photos, you've missed a blessing.

I so very much appreciate Eugene's sweet spirit and his desire to be open and aboveboard. He is a dedicated Christian who runs the sound system at his church. Not only does he do all he can to make sure my website is truthful and never misleading, but when he does find a problem or have a question, he does as the Bible teaches, and he comes to me quietly with his concerns, one-on-one. He doesn't wish for me to embarrass myself publicly. On the contrary, his wish is to keep me from being publicly humiliated. That's a true Christian spirit.

I've had other people in my life contact me privately about concerns they had about something I was doing. One was another writer who had read a manuscript I'd completed for publication. But she found some discrepancies about a particular subject with which she disagreed. Because of that concern, she apologized and told me she could not endorse the novel. She thought I'd be angry. I was not. I could have misled thousands of readers about that one subject simply because of the way I worded it. I still appreciate her for her courage and honesty, giving me the opportunity to rewrite something no one else had caught.

There are people in our lives who guide us. They may have to completely contradict something we've done, and they may even risk our anger or hurt feelings, but because they care about us, they will speak up. You can tell if their concern is sincere in the way they speak up. They do so with humility. They do so quietly, privately. And they do it because they care. You may not agree with them, but if they are sincere, they will also sincerely be willing to discuss the situation with you. In private. Those are the ones who are true friends.

Labels: , , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 7:22 PM  
  Comments (3)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
3 Comments:
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Good friends are worth their weight in gold!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, they are.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger jel said...

Hey all,

thanks Cheryl, any time ya want to use one,(that goes for any of u GWO gals) just click on my profile name and it will take ya to my place.

hope y'all are well, haven't been able to get online.

take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz