Girls Write Out
Friday, April 15, 2011
Have you ever experienced a vacation in which nothing went right? The dream you had of a fun-filled week worked for everyone around you except for you?

Since this happens to me most of the time I don't even plan what I'll do on vacation anymore, I just go. Then I won't get my hopes up to get them dashed.

This past week, however, I didn't follow the plan. I wanted to get ahead on my manuscript--due at the end of April!!--so I went with the intention of getting thousands of words written and to walk the paved trails of Big Cedar near Branson. Unfortunately, my hip refused to cooperate. I realized I needed my recliner in order to have a comfortable position to write, since I cannot sit in a regular chair, and there were no recliners in my room. I felt like the person in the cave in the picture, watching everyone else have a good time while I was standing in the dark.

Not only couldn't I write, but when I ventured out on my first walk down the hill, my leg went out on me. I mean, it stopped holding me up for several minutes. A little panicky, I called Mel, who was driving to do some target practice with his brother. So I couldn't talk to him. I finally made it back to my room--in a lodge at the top of the hill. I couldn't get to a doctor nearby, so I called the spa--which I ordinarily would never do, since Big Cedar charges tons more than my regular massage therapist--but I was desperate. They got me right in, and a therapist named Julie had to help me back to the massage room. She spent 90 minutes working on my back, legs and shoulders, and when I walked out of that spa I was a new woman!

I walked up and down those hills at Big Cedar for the rest of my stay. That therapist was a miracle worker. I know what some people think when they hear about massages, and there have been some massage parlors in the past that earned the legitimate ones an unfair reputation. These therapists are trained, they know what they're doing, and the good ones can really help us health-wise.

If you haven't been to a massage therapist, I suggest you try it just once. Ask for a relaxing massage, and if you're uncomfortable, ask for a woman. The most therapeutic massages go more deeply into the muscles and they can sometimes be painful at first, so start small and build up. If you haven't been to one in a while, I suggest you go again, and try to do it more regularly. Consider this an additional bid for health, because that's exactly what it is.

Now, can anyone tell me what a Swedish massage is?
I forgot to ask.

Labels: , ,

Hannah Alexander  
posted at 11:44 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 2:40 PM, Blogger jel said...

Can't shoot ya!
ya write to good ;)

sorry your leg went out,

I looked swedish massage's up ,
and it said it was a relaxing massage,

I love to give massages, and at one time want to be a massage therapist, but my hands giveout to fast to be a good one.

glad ya found a good one :)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Thanks, jel, I love the way massage artists work, and don't know how they have the strength to continue for hours at a time.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

I have a miracle massage person also. Toni. She has cured me of more ailments than my doctor. I also went hiking in Tennessee on vacation once and on the last day I pulled/stripped or otherwise injured a knee. When I finally went to her, as you say, she had to really work it which wasn't fun, but it worked miracles. I recommend her to all my friends. Wish I could afford to go weekly.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

She sounds wonderful, Sandie. I have one like that I go to every month, but she's in Nashville the other three weeks of the month or I would probably try to go every two weeks.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I've always shied away - mainly because I'm very susceptible to touch. It's instant relaxation to me. The right touch on my shoulders can buckle my knees. LOL So I've always thought I'd fall asleep and not be able to enjoy it.

When I ger pedicures, the gals massage the legs and feet and that nearly puts in into a lovely coma. :D

Then I have to get up and pay. If only I could stay and sleep for a few hours. Ahhhh, bliss.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I love pedicures, too, Ane, but I can't have them because they remove the toughened skin on the feet, and then I get blisters when I go hiking. The first time I went to get a pedicure with my girlfriend, I embarrassed her to death by moaning out loud when the pedicurist started massaging my feet. Well, how was I supposed to know how good it felt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz