Girls Write Out
Wednesday, June 01, 2011

I'm knee-deep in my new novel, which has yet to find itself a name. It's about a "nose" or a perfumer who can specifically identify over 6,000 scents. Until her fiance dumps her at the altar and she loses her sense of smell.

Have you ever noticed when you're taking things too far, stress tends to wear you down EXACTLY where you need your strength the most? I must admit, I got the idea from Shania Twain who lost her voice for no physical reason. Just from the stress of being betrayed by her husband and best friend.

Notice I say "JUST" stress. I think we underestimate how damaging stress is on our bodies. If you don't deal with something one way, God finds another to get your attention.

Back to Daphne, or whatever her new name might be. A "nose" makes good money. There are less than 500 certified noses in the United States, so coming by research hasn't been easy. But the one thing I found is that fragrance isn't created in a lab. Fragrance is created the same way a novel is created. Out in the world looking for inspiration. Everything inspires. Everything is notepad worthy. IT was funny to see the men noses compared to the women noses.

So did you know that your sense of smell is your strongest memory producer? The smell of something lingers in your brain longer than any other sense. Do you have a favorite smell that brings you to a different time?

Labels: , , ,

Kristin  
posted at 9:28 PM  
  Comments (13)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
13 Comments:
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of my most vivid memories is the smell of my mother's pillow. Her "essence" was comforting...I knew she was near and that was enough. Now that she is gone and I cannot ask to be wrapped in her arms, when I miss her the most I remember the smell of her pillow and am comforted. I wonder if my son thinks the same of my pillow....

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger jel said...

the name for your new book !
"THE GIFT of a SCENT"
just a thought :)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

What a great concept for a book! Scents and Scents-abilities? :)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Abby said...

What a cool idea for a book! I can't wait to read it:)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

I *love* the name Daphne!! It see ms to fit so perfectly for a "nose" :)

Whenever I smell the cologne my husband used to wear, it takes me right back to the moment I met him when I was 15! I actually have an empty bottle of it somewhere around here. lol

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Barb said...

My grandparents house always had a certain scent, and when they came to visit us, it seemed our house would take on that same scent. It bothered me that our house wasn't "faithful" enough to retain its own scent when they came.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Crystal Mazzuca said...

I have more of an association with bad scents. Chemo and hospital stays have really messed with my nose and mind. I can't smell latex or saline (yes, it has a smell!) without getting sick to my stomach!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Crystal, I hear you. I can think of some awful hospital smells too. Those never go away!!! Great suggestions on the names. They've already turned down Scents & Sensibilities. I do love that name, but I get it.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger jel said...

what about for the title "FRAGRANCE"

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Barb said...

The Essence of Regret

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

I can't wait for this book!!!!
It's so interesting to were inspired by Shania Twain. I love her show on OWN and like her in general. But I was watching it the other day & read your blog during a commercial only to think "Kristin billerbeck would really like her story & show"!! Her story is amazing

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

OOh The Essence of Regret; a smell I know well. LOL Jel, I like Fragrance too! Right now they're going with "Violet in Bloom" It will grow on me, I'm still so attached to Daphne as a name.

Tonya, I get scared when people tell me that. Like THIS one will never be right. Don't make me nervous! LOL

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Ronya said...

I bought a specific cologne that I really liked for my fiance. He wore it often. We never married and I never knew anyone else who wore it. Sometime this past year (about 15 years after the "break-up") I walked past someone who must have been wearing it because it stopped me in my tracks, taking my mind back to my fiance. I had to actually turn around to see who it was. Funny how smells really do hang on in our memories for so long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz