Girls Write Out
Sunday, August 05, 2012
Two weeks ago I finished my substantive edit on Barefoot Summer, the first book in my new Chapel Springs series. Every writer has their own traditions and habits, but one of mine is that I take a week or two off between books to refill the creative well.

If you were looking in my living room window during this time, it would look more like the making of a couch potato. But trust me, it's part of my process. I rebound from the long and arduous journey of writing a novel by reading novels and watching movies.

It's especially important to immerse myself in the romance genre, remembering what it's like to fall in love again. This week or two is filled with lots of happy sighing and contented smiles.

Also during this time, the plot of my next book is simmering in the back of my mind. I find myself pausing the movies and putting down the novels to make notes on my next story. The idea being that, by the time my break is over, my plot is fleshed out enough to begin writing.

Eventually I reach a point when I know my creative well has been refilled. Story ideas are abundant, and I feel excited about new ideas that are now flowing easily.

Kevin and I were at the theater Friday seeing Spiderman. Story ideas were popping into my head all throughout the previews.

I leaned over and said, "The creative itch is back."

Time to get writing.

Next up: Dancing with Fireflies, book 2 of the Chapel Springs series. I can't wait to see where Jade and Daniel's journey leads them.

What do you do to recharge your batteries?
Denise Hunter  
posted at 6:54 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 7:37 PM, Blogger jel said...

I never could get my batteries, to hold a charge, so I went back to the hand crank! ;)

going fishing , helps alot!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Tonya said...

I'm learning to write and it much harder than I thought! Non-writers don't give writing enough credit for being tough. Even coming up with ideas and fleshing out plots is challenging, at least for me! I thought I'd have a brilliant idea fully pop into my head & then of write it....nope. Lately I've wanted to write a story about great friedship, like the sisterhood of the traveling pants. That's about as far as I've gotten. Ugh.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Denise Hunter said...

Hand crank works too, Jel. LOL

Tonya, don't give up. It is hard, but as you go, you'll start to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. I loved the Sisterhood books. Try reading up on "ensemble casts". Hang in there!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Ashley Clark said...

Denise, I loved hearing about your creative process! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loves watching romantic movies (for me it's rom coms) to get inspired. I Gilmore Girl-ed myself through my last book! :)

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Shalet Jimmy said...

Loved your blog...will keep stalking it....

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I always love to keep up with you and read your blogs.
I am the same as you - to unwind, give me a good movie, or a good Christian Fiction book ! ! ! or my adorable grandkids of course :-)

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I usually take a break in between projects to recharge, too. Yes, watching movies and catching up on all the shows I had to dvr...oh, and I try to spend more time outside. :)

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I usually take a break in between projects to recharge, too. Yes, watching movies and catching up on all the shows I had to dvr...oh, and I try to spend more time outside. :)

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous blog !!Very informative and helpful. I was searching for this information but there are very limited resources. Thank you for providing this information.

Itching under cast

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz