Girls Write Out
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
It's no secret that I love the classics.  I can't help it, I just prefer the way stories of old were told.  It's a personal preference, and I know not everyone feels that way.  In fact, I wish I liked new books more because then I could see what made them bestsellers.

One genre I really skipped was "horror" of old because I'm a big chicken.  However, as I've gotten older, I've developed a taste for the macabre. (I did read "The Phantom of the Opera" which is as scary as I got.)  It doesn't scare me nearly so much and I've grown to like the sensation of fear.   Experts say it's the closest feeling to happiness. (Go figure -- I suppose that's why Horror movies are so popular, but I'm not going that route -- only in books.)

So I'm currently reading "Frankenstein" and the thing I love abou this book is that Mary Shelley and her friends (Percy Shelley and Lord Byron) held a contest to come up with the "best ghost story" and this was her contribution.  Not bad for a teenager, huh?  As I get ready to embark on a weekend with writers for a brainstorming session, it reminds me what being in the company of good writers can do for a person of words.  Does anyone out there still read the classics?

Oh, and next up, Dracula.  Which I hear I can't read at night like I can Frankenstein.  We shall see.
Kristin  
posted at 1:43 PM  
  Comments (10)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
10 Comments:
At 2:31 PM, Blogger freddikb said...

I read Frankenstein a few years back and enjoyed it. I have not read Dracula. Other than Frankenstein, the other closest scary book I read was Rebecca. It has that phsycological thrill in it that I loved. After reading it I definitely saw why Alfred Hitchcock grabbed it for a movie.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I loved Rebecca, but that wasn't scary to me. I sorta wanted her to die. How bad is that? LOL

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger jel said...

of all the books that I have read,
there are 2 that have scared, me in the worst of ways, are
The Oath~ and The Hiding Place.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger jel said...

oh I forgot one
The STRANGE MAN.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Being a Koontz fan, I loved his Frankenstein novel, at least the first one. Maybe the second. Never ready the original Frankenstein. You're a patient person to read the classics, Kris. I get bored far too easily!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh I read those Jel, loved them both. But I like the psychological stuff, just not the violence. Frankenstein is very psychological and mysterious.

I'm patient with the classics only. I don't know why because I am not a fast reader of fiction. I mostly read non-fiction and go through it very quickly. But fiction, I take my time.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger jel said...

I like mysterious!


Have ya read any books of this author, that goes by the name of
H Alexander. in some of her early books. now talk about Mysterious,
very good reads.
But I did wondered if her hubby slept, with one eye open. :)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yes, sometimes Mel does sleep with one eye open. LOL But then, he's scared of spiders.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Cherry Odelberg said...

Yes, I read the classics - guilty of reading myself to sleep with Pride and Prejudice night after night after night.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I love it Cheryl. I just love that book. I go back to the Thorn Birds all the time. It would drive Colleen crazy, lot of "head-hopping" but she is such an incredible writer.

FYI, I loved Frankenstein. It was a lot like Crime & Punishment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz