Girls Write Out
Thursday, November 08, 2012

Lately, many of us have been agonizing as we've watched friends, family and fellow Americans suffering from illness, loss of jobs, loss of homes and more. My traditional publisher, the Christian branch of Harlequin, is in New York City, where they've been out of electricity in the home office after Super Storm Sandy hit them. I'm worried about my friends who work there. Thousands in the city are being helped by Samaritan's Purse. Now run by Franklin Graham, Samaritan's Purse has been helping people after storms since the 70s. After our town was wiped out in 2004, Samaritan's Purse was one of the first aid groups to arrive with food, physical aid, counseling. So here's how I'm going to help.

You might have seen an announcement on Facebook about an auction being conducted called Write Now Relief. Spread the word that for those who are looking for someone to critique fifty pages of their work, they can make a bid for me to critique those pages here on this blogsite. Just place your bid in the comments section. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, so if the bid goes low, and all I'm earning is ten dollars to help New York City, that won't go far, and neither will I ;-) In fact I'll outbid that to keep from doing the work. A good, substantive critique is hard work; I know this because I've been doing it for nearly thirty years.

The highest bidder for my services will send that bid donation to Samaritan's Purse and an emailed copy of the receipt to me with 50 pages for me to critique. We're beginning this Friday, November 9, and ending the bids on November 16, midnight, Eastern Standard Time. Monitor the comments section on this blog closely through the 16th so that you can re-bid when necessary. If it helps you to know what you're getting, I've always been told by my editors that I typically turn in clean copy--meaning I've already edited myself to death. Though it's hard work, I love editing. If you want an honest appraisal of your work, you'll get that, but tell me what kind of edit you want before you send your pages. And remember, highest bidder wins. The main Facebook page tells us that one blogger last week had a top donation of $1,000 for a 50-page critique.

You may find out more about Samaritan's Purse at http://youtu.be/rdyKyY2p6ms


If you simply want to donate to Samaritan's Purse and leave me out of it, feel free to do that, as well! The webpage on Sandy is http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/articles/hurricane_sandy/

I hope you find this worth your while. I know a lot of New Yorkers who will thank you in heaven.


Hannah Alexander  
posted at 8:38 PM  
  Comments (11)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
11 Comments:
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Anne Love said...

I'll start: $100.00 bid.
This is an awesome idea!!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Oh, how cool! Thanks, Anne. What a great bid!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I have a request. Would those of you who decide to donate to the cause to help out the New Yorkers, either through Samaritan's Purse or other organization, would you let us know here? I'd love to know how that's going.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Well, unless there's an upset in the next few hours, it looks as if Anne Love's bid of 100.00 will win the critique from Hannah Alexander of her 50 pages of writing. Hold your breath, folks. We're just waiting until the time is called.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Anne Love said...

Well, is that it Hannah? Although I'm personally thrilled at the opportunity for this crit, I'm sad no one else bid. So can you email me the next steps? loveae1967 at live dot com.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Anne Love said...

okay I read the next steps, but I need your email addy to mail you the receipt.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Yep, you've got it, Anne! Congrats! I've been gone all day running all over the country, so have been out of it. I've just sat down and will send you the info at your email addy now.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you get my bid of $250.00?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

LOL, Unknown! Very funny ;-)

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Anne Love said...

I didn't get your email. Try to resend. Thanks.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

Okay, I might have misread it, Anne. I'm sending again now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz