Girls Write Out
Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Colleen and Dave Puerto Rico

We just took a family trip to Puerto Rico. Loved it! The snorkeling was as good as Kauai (and that's saying something!) and the weather was great. We stayed on at Shacks Beach on the northwest side. I'd been sitting in a beach chair on Thursday, and a rogue wave came out of nowhere and drowned everything I had. Including my beach bag--which contained my iPhone. Which then quit working right. It wouldn't ring or make any noise for a ring or a text message so I carried it in my pocket. It wasn't charging either. Lots of things weren't working. So this is the set up and my excuse. LOL

Sunday was the day to fly home. Everything was going well even though we'd gotten up at 4:30 am. 

Until I got to security. Now I'm not yet used to those x-ray things where you have to stand with your hands out, but I dutifully did my feet apart stance and waited. Only to be asked if I was carrying anything. The guy put his hand on his midriff as a gesture for was I carrying anything there. Well no I wasn't. So he had to call a supervisor to frisk me in a private room. The problem was we were all hungry and wanted breakfast before the flight took off. And it took FOREVER for a supervisor to get there. I was getting madder and madder. I seldom get upset with people, but this guy was being a jerk and didn't seem at all concerned that I might miss my flight. I ran my hand over my very thin top and said, "If I were going to try to carry something, I wouldn't have worn this thin top." He ignored me. I spoke loudly to the kids about my dismay over all this. The kids were all getting antsy too. So I was acting very out of character by showing my displeasure. I usually just smile and swallow that kind of thing down. Not Sunday. LOL

Just before the female supervisor came (a good 20 minutes wait) I realized I still had my cell phone in my pocket. I yanked it out and held it out. "Could this be the problem? It was in my pocket." If he'd asked me about my pocket, I would have checked there, but he seemed more concerned with my midriff. He nodded and STILL wouldn't let me go until a female supervisor came. Of course, I was carrying nothing and was finally released. I had enough time to grab my coffee which was the important thing. Later, Donna told me she wanted to tell me to be quiet before I was thrown in the pokey. LOL But I really really hate authority who throws their weight around. I'm good obeying. I never have trouble following rules and am not a rule breaker. But when someone acts like a jerk and doesn't tell you anything just because they can, that pushes my buttons. 

So that got me thinking about my characters in story. I'm going to think of something that really pushes their buttons to make them act out of character. So what about you? What buttons make you act out of character?

Colleen Coble  
posted at 11:17 AM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Mess with my kids and I'm your worst nightmare. I was away and my son's coach sent him home alone with a concussion. He will see wrathful Kristin when I get home. I feel it helps those meek parents. A coach has a responsibility for the respect he receives.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Mama Bear! :)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger jel said...

one reason I don't fly.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Hannah Alexander said...

I'm glad you brought this up, Colleen. I'm behaving like a bear lately because of stress. When I get stressed, then depressed, I go into hiding. And yet I seem the same on the outside, so Mel doesn't get it. When he oversteps bounds and I behave like the bear I am, it shocks him. I've never really explored this in a character, because I never make a character an introvert like me. Maybe I should try, so people will better understand the introverts in their lives.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Jel, I hear you. I fly a lot and it's like being personally assaulted every time. I travel alone and I think that makes it worse. I've had them pat down my big 80's hair. LOL

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The only thing that really pushes my button is when someone mistreats family. Then look out, cause it's difficult for me to control. LOL. Thanks for sharing your story and so glad you didn't get a trip to the pokey. Blessings, Susan Fryman

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger jel said...

dh says, that when I am really hungry, it easy to push my button.

one time we were in town, at a drive~in and we had place a order,
we waited and waited. and nothing,
so i saw a worker walking across, and asked him where our food was!
dh, said I scared the boy, and him.
come to fine out, they had junked our order. in the end , we got free food! :)

Colleen, glad y'all made it home.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Sandie said...

Oh no, don't mess with my kids, my family. That brings out the bear in me. On the other hand, do something nice for my kids and you're never forgotten and appreciated. :-)

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Scraproni: Adventures of Single Woman said...

When people are rewarded for doing the wrong thing. eg someone rewarded for integrity when they 'visit' clients at social activities and ask questions that are no longer their business when they have been removed for their welfare. Religious groups who don't provide care for their people during extreme prayer moments. Men who are disrepectful to women with a look whether its to look at them like their stupid or leer or disrepectful with their words no matter who life's journal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz