Girls Write Out
Wednesday, November 09, 2005


BACK TO THE BEGINNING
I'm now home in Indiana. I got in at 3 A.M. and crashed in our waterbed. I'm still lazying around the house just smiling at the great time I had in Arizona.

It was a back to the beginning time in many ways. I got to spend some real quality time with my daughter. She used to love to lay her head in my lap and have me caress her hair. Since she's a grown woman now, that hadn't happened in many years, but every night I curled up on the couch with Kara's head in my lap and just ran my fingers through her curls. It was a comfort to her and to me both as we grieved for Harley. I'm so glad I went. Though we've always been close, it was a reconnecting time for me and Kara.

It was also a back to the beginning time for The Three Amigos. Way back in the days when we only had one or two Heartsongs under our belts, me, Kristin Billerbeck and Carol Cox roomed together at the Glorieta Writer's Conference. Kristin touched on the weekend, but I'm going to tattle on the full story. Our room was tiny and painted a hideous green color we dubbed "Aqua on Steroids." All our families were appalled that we were rooming with women we'd met "on the Internet." I think they imagined axe murderers lurking in the bathroom. The reality was much funnier as three women from different parts of the country and with a different culture experience became friends.

Getting together with Kristin and Carol on Monday to brainstorm brought back all the old memories of that conference. Our weekend started with Kristin demonstrating what it means to be a princess. First thing upon getting in the room, she announces she's taking a bath. No big deal, right? There are three towels in the bathroom. She uses one for her hair, one to step out of the bathtub onto and one to dry with. We can always get more, right? Wrong. Think CAMP. We were each given ONE TOWEL for the weekend. So we had to shake the dirt off one towel and let the others dry, then use them the rest of the weekend. That's when you know you're true friends. LOL!

Then we all began pitching our projects in earnest. I met Erin Healy for the first time at the conference,though I'm sure she doesn't remember. Now years later, here she is as my freelance editor that I adore. Carol had a request for more of a proposal from a bigger house that weekend. I think it was from Bethany but I can't remember. Anyway, due to some computer glitches or something (my memory is fuzzy on this), she had to redo a huge synopsis. Kristin was a fast typer so she sat on the floor with a laptop computer on the end of the bed and retyped Carol's entire proposal.

My espresso addiction was born that weekend. Kristin HAD to have her mocha so she had a rental car delivered to the camp and we drove to Santa Fe where I got my first taste of a blended iced mocha. In one sip I knew I was lost forever! That was our first trip in search of the perfect shot and the first time we had our picture taken in a coffee shop.

We've come a long way, baby. We're still friends and the journey has been worth it all.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 1:02 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And here's to many more happy memories for you guys, as well as a long journey of delivering awesome books from all you guys! :)

Glad y'all had a wonderful time together!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

I'd never heard of such a thing either, though Carol and I read the information before arriving so we knew our limitations. LOL

But hey, I wouldn't trade the experience! We get a lot of joy out of remembering that time!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL....it COULD be worse....I mean, they could have only given you ONE towel, PERIOD! LOL You guys crack me up!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You change towels more than once a week? What's the point? You dry clean water off your clean body. I must ask my wife about this.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL...poor Ron...spoken like a true MAN! LOLOLOLOL

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so do you all take your own towels when you go away with kristin now? :p


once i stayed at these serviced (apparently) apartments that were meant to be 5 star (in surfers paradise, queensland australia) and when we ran out of toilet paper they made us BUY more. i think that's worse than only giving you one towel! we stayed there for 5 days, for a church youth conference and i think that was pretty horrid!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz