Girls Write Out
Thursday, November 03, 2005

Writer Burnout

I never thought I'd see this day. Never imagined it in my wildest dreams of getting published, but I am officially and utterly burned out on the writing biz. It's not the writing. It's the constancy of all the business stuff that goes along with it: edits, interviews, endorsement readings. None of those things on their own are bad, but together it really does nothing for the creative mind, and it makes me want to paint again so I can get my juices flowing again.

I have written six full length books in the last two years. And that's just too many. I have four kids, and I'm missing out on life! I want to remember what my friends look like. I want to spend the day at the mall and not feel guilty that I should be editing or what have you.

Keep in mind, I'm not complaining. I'm thrilled about my work, but no matter what you do, if you do too much of it, it starts to turn into drudgery. My new office has been in a shambles since I moved in, so I am officially taking a sabbatical. Granted, it's only two days, but it's two days I absolutely need. My house is non-stop chaos, with kids over, and houseguests, and soccer a billion times a week, and homework that never seems to end.

So this Sunday, thanks to my wonderful husband -- after a full day of a soccer, a few in laws in town, and an in-law reunion (ooh can't wait for that!) I am hopping on a plane and going to sunny Phoenix to play and brainstorm with my close friends, Colleen Coble and Carol Cox. The three amigas started together way back when in Glorieta, and I can hardly wait to reuinite with the women who learned what it meant to room with the princess. : ) And here's the thing: they still like me! Talk about long-suffering.

Anyway, the secondary stuff of writing is taking a backseat and I am grabbing my creativity again!! I'm taking up my cross people! Kristin
Anonymous  
posted at 8:21 PM  
  Comments (5)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
5 Comments:
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You go, princess! Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous! LOL

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, you'll love it here, Kristin. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous. And Scottsdale has some of the best shopping. Rivals South Coast Plaza.

You gals have a blast!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger eileen said...

Get those creative juices flowing! And, be sure to stick one finger in the water and let Colleen check your arm muscles! (I'll never forget wondering what you 2 were up to that morning in Waco.) ENJOY!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Emily said...

I live in South Asia currently. I started reading you back when I worked at Nasa (you responded to an email back then and it made my day!) and one of my best friends just mailed me a copy of She's All That, knowing you're my favorite author. Realizing that you're in the middle of a 'sabbatical', I won't tell you how much I'm looking forward to someone sending me your next book...very considerate of me, I know. :) Thanks for your awesome books!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Have fun in in Arizona. Being with good friends is always refreshing.

Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz