Girls Write Out
Friday, November 04, 2005


EMAIL ADDICTION
I'm still in Phoenix with my daughter. I'm loving the time with her, but there's a problem: I can't connect my laptop to her cable modem. She has no wireless router. I'm seriously considering buying her one so when I come I can sit on the overstuffed couch in comfort and still get my fix. As it is now, I have to physically get up, set aside my laptop and come to Kara's office to check my email. That sucks!

How many of you out there are email junkies? I'm waving my hand high. I think we should form a group to help with our addiction. Okay maybe not. The first thing you have to do to overcome an addiction is WANT to kick the habit. I don't want to. Sad isn't it? Think of how many books I could get written if I wasn't checking my email constantly. When I'm on a tight deadline, I adjust Outlook to check every half an hour instead of every minute, but I find myself obsessing after about fifteen minutes and clicking over to see if anything has come.

What is the nature of this obsession? I've been pondering it a little this week, and here is what I've come up with: I'm a mom. I worry about my chicks. I mentor and mother some other writers and subconsciously I think if I don't "fix" things, my friends will suffer. Ridiculous isn't it? It's not like I'm advising on something earth-shattering. I'm talking about writing, for pete's sakes! The other thing is I adore hearing from my family at WestBow. What if one of them emails me with some exciting news or even just a "hi we love you" sort of email? I want to be accessible to them too. WestBow is a fabulous house, and I love my family there. My goal is to be the easiest author they work with. I want to get the emails from them as quickly as I can get them! The other thing is that writing is a lonely business. I'm lost in another world, one I'm creating, and my email anchors me back to real life. It gives me community right in the comfort of my own living room.

So on second thought, maybe I don't want to form a group to conquer my addiction. Email junkies of the world, unite! No more will we take slurs on our favorite pastime, no longer will we hide our heads in shame and mumble about how much time we spend on email. Spending time with friends is never wasted.
Colleen Coble  
posted at 12:33 PM  
  Comments (9)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
9 Comments:
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL...well, being as I'm one of those people who DO fill up your email box, I'm not complaining. And I have my Outlook set to check every minute as well, but I also have my yahoo linked so I get a crashing sound before it hits my Outlook, so I'm doubly warned! LOL Oh yeah, I LOVE this addiction!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

Right on, chickie! I'm pretty sure my addiction stems from feeling like I am "working" if I am in front of a computer, but I have friends in email that I've never spoken to. How do you say a social life is an addiction rather than a necessity?

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger eileen said...

This IS the best. Having an online group of friends who share your common passion! Enjoy your time away, btw.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Oh I completely hear you. All my friends live in my computer. :)

Camy

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Waving my hand here! I'm addicted something aweful, but I love it!!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Hey, you're so far away in Arizona!

I have an email addiction, too, but went on digest after conference. I know... CRAZY. Went cold turkey. I had the shakes for a few days, but I'm better now.

Love ya, Rachel

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Malia Spencer said...

I'm an e-mail addict. And we're FINALLY going to get cable again! So I'll be able to hop on without dialing. I also think the cable comes with e-mail so I'll be able to use Outlook again.
Yea! I missed using Outlook for mail. Don't get me wrong, yahoo's great for freebies but there's just something about an e-mail program.
Can't wait until I'm back among the techies again. It's been a long time coming.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Green Gables Chick said...

Colleen,
You are preaching to the choir!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now let's all say it together...
"Hello, my name is Robin, and I'm an email junkie"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz