Girls Write Out
Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Early Christmas shopping? Don’t do it!

I tried it once. Got my list all organized in January (I was kind of bitter about it, by the way, because I had spent my life savings the December before, and now I had to mortgage the house to buy presents early). The list was ready to go by the second week in January, and off I went feeling rather Martha Stewart-ish.

As I drove through town, I couldn’t help but notice the rotting Christmas trees on the side of the road. Colored lights that framed rooftops now had missing bulbs looking every inch like a bad set of teeth. Lawns were littered with scraps of wrapping paper and stray tinsel. The song “Turn Out the Lights the Party’s Over” came to mind. Melted snow lined the roadways causing a dirty slush to flip onto my car. I tried to focus on holiday cheer but couldn’t get past knowing that street salt was eating away at my car’s exterior. “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” bellowed from the radio speakers.

Something was missing here. Yeah, I know, I’m quick. One would think I’d have turned around and gone home, but I didn’t.

I pushed the sights behind me and struggled to muster a happy attitude as I made my way to the stores. Once I stepped inside, employees stared at me through wild, bloodshot eyes, suggesting that if I had a complaint, they could go postal.

Somehow I managed to get through the day and tucked my purchases safely away for the following Christmas. When Christmas finally came around again, I had totally forgotten that I’d purchased anything early, and went shopping in the rush of December all over again. I found the moth-eaten packages five years later and decided then and there that I would never bother to go early again.

So if you’re ever tempted to get organized and shop early, indulge in coffee or read a good book instead. Been there, done that, and I’m telling you, it’s just not worth it.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 10:22 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Diann you make me laugh. I could never shop that early, although I will say that when I got out my decorations this year I found a whole bag of ornaments that I got at the after sales last year. It was fun, I had forgotten all about them.

One time I bought like 12 shirts for my son off a clearance rack, they were dirt cheap at sears, well I bought them and put them back for the next summer. When next summer came they didn't fit. So I learned to never buy clothes ahead of time for children. Anybody need any size 5 t-shirts.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Chaos-Jamie said...

Actually, Sabrina, yes.

And Diann, January has it's problems, but I've found October to have them too. I once made the declaration that I'd never cross the threshold of a mall or Wal-Mart after Thanksgiving so I did all my shopping early and was so proud. Third week of December rolled around and I felt so left out that I went out and bought more. Spent twice the money. Now I wait until the stores are playing the proper music!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I so feel your pain, Sabrina. Twelve shirts no one can wear. Sigh.

And Jamie, that is too funny!!! Why would anyone want to miss out on the Christmas frenzy? The snarls, the pushing and shoving, the wallet grabbing--and that's all before I leave the house! LOL

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

NOW you can understand why I shop via the 'net! LOL

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

I'm with you! Never shop early!

Rachel

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's December 1, and I'm hitting the online shopping mall today! Anyone wanna come? (The only thing I'll miss is a vanilla latte from the Coffee Bean. Guess I'll have to settle for my own brew and an added shot of vanilla cream (fat free--of course :-)

Diann, you don't consider this too early. Do you? ;-)

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL! No, Julie, I don't consider this too early. In fact, I have edits coming up next week, so believe it or not, I got most of my shopping done yesterday. :-)

Online shopping seems a great way to go these days!!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz