Girls Write Out
Thursday, November 10, 2005

My name is Diann Hunt, and I’m a coffeeaholic.

When this happened, I have no idea. I mean, twelve years ago, I would have snubbed my nose at the mere mention of the bitter brew. But then someone had to go and add chocolate to it. Then as if that weren’t enough, they dealt the final blow by adding whipped dream. I mean, who can walk away from that?

I should have seen it coming. The fact that my car automatically turns into a Starbuck’s parking lot is a clue. Lingering in a coffee shop from, say, opening to closing, might be another indication. Then of course, there are the mocha and hazelnut candles flickering from every room in our house. The coffee air fresheners in the car. But the truth hit me like a blast of espresso when my husband came in the bedroom as I was getting ready for church last week and caught me dabbing latte behind my ears.

“You need help, Diann.”

“I know.” I tried to look appropriately ashamed, then I raised my mug to him. “You want some?” He walked away. I was glad.

I didn’t have enough to share.

Okay, so I had a problem. I could do without it, right? No big deal. It was only coffee. For four days I ignored the cat calls coming from my espresso machine. For a while I even ignored the jackhammer wrecking havoc with my head.

But just before the SWAT team was called in as I tackled the barista into handing over all her coffee beans, a wise friend called out that my head would get better if I eased off coffee. Which is another way of saying, go back on the caffeine.

I brushed off the barista, threw in an extra fifty cent tip for the Americano, and now my world is right once again.

One word of advice. Never, never, NEVER come between a menopausal woman and her mug of coffee. Trust me on this one. Things just get ugly.
Diann Hunt  
posted at 12:10 PM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think I realized my problem when my heart was beating hard enough to pop buttons off my shirt. By the way, for small deposit, Starbuck's will give you a key.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Laughing, Di you are such a nut! Coffee behind the ears... who would have thunk it. I'm still a diet Dr. Pepper fien but I can thank you for my morning cup of mocha. yummmy!!!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL....DOUBLE whipped cream!

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Yes, it's all Kristin's fault. She got me started on espresso too. And let's be clear about this. We're not really addicted to coffee, Di. It's ESPRESSO. Actual coffee isn't that big of a deal to us. Give us chocolate and whipped cream with shots of pungent espresso and we're in heaven!

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe!

i would like to blame kristin for my coffee addiction too. can i do that? it's ashley stockingdale really. have a character addicted to coffee, and it makes you think... "hmm maybe i'll try it" of course, i suppose it was REALLY when they plonked a gloria jeans right outside where i work.... (we don't have starbucks here) - and now i'm their best customer.

bring on the latte!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

LOL, Rebecca!! Just so you know, I did take a moment of silence in your honor. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz