Girls Write Out
Sunday, December 04, 2005


VACATIONS
Okay, I've finally come to the conclusion I'm weird. Here we are on a fabulous trip to Hawai'i. It's to research a new book of course, but there are no rules that say I can't enjoy the week, are there? Of course not. And I have done just that. But now I'm heading home in the morning and you know what? I CAN'T WAIT! I'm eager to get back to my edits, my email, my own bed, my writing recliner, and my own coffee, in that order. Yes, you heard me right. The EDITS are at the top of my list, even ahead of my own bed.

After talking to the fabulous Ami McConnell yesterday and getting her ideas for the manuscript, I cannot WAIT to get back to it! Even the palm trees, the lure of the blue Pacific and the sound of Hawaiian music fail to hold my attention after her call. I found my attention wandering back to the story at every turn, and now I'm about to pick up life again.

What is there about routine that's so compelling? I love change. I really do. I like to see things shaken up, which is another reason I love edits, but I crave routine. My morning espresso by nine, my computer fired up and on my lap by the same time. Listening for the mailman, eyeing the pile of research books heaped beside my chair, the friendly chime of Outlook announcing a new email from one of the girls, the soft embrace of my waterbed (yes, that's right, we have slept in a waterbed for nearly 30 years now). Much as I'd love to stay under a palm tree forever, the lure of routine keeps calling me back. Maybe I'm just getting old. LOL
Colleen Coble  
posted at 12:52 AM  
  Comments (7)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
7 Comments:
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said...

Oh, I so get this! LOL, I love change and am nomadic in nature. Living in one place for more than four years is a real challenge. I've changed houses, states and even countries, but I LOVE my daily routine and cringe at interference. Let me do what I want and don't let the door wack ya in the butt on the way out!

Great post, Colleen! :-)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Camy Tang said...

Palm trees...vacation...beach...

Are you trying to unleash the horrid green monster???

Actually, while you're there, my parents are here in California! Go figure.

I can relateto the whole change thing. I take my laptop on vacation with me, so I don't really VACATION, I just go somewhere else to write. Am I stupid or just weird? No, don't answer that.

Camy

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love routine...schedules...etc. But I love vacations, too! LOL And Hawaii sounds heavenly! Glad you're coming back, though....I missed ya!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson said...

Laughing, I hate change! I love routine and I enjoy going on vacations. It will be good to have you home! I've missed you.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

I like vacations, but love routine, just like you, Colleen. Speaking of routine, I'm so glad you'll soon be home--it messed up my routine to have you on a different time zone. ;-)

Welcome back, girlfriend!!!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's more like we need to be accomplishing something. I'm the same way, especially if it involves writing!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

I love to get away, but love getting back home even more! I love my routine, too.

You know, edits are awesome, but until they are done, it's like a lose tent flap cracking in the breeze. Gotta get it tied down and secure.

And your recliner is the best writing recliner ever. Gotta get me one of those. :)

Welcome home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz