Girls Write Out
Monday, April 10, 2006

I love to go to candle stores. Not only the smells but also the names of the candles get me excited. Spiced cider, mango mandarin, moonlight path, cinnamon stick, sweet pea, shore breeze—they all kick up my adrenaline a notch and put me in a certain mood or frame of mind.

Since my current wip is set in Siesta Key, I’m especially drawn to the “shore breeze” candle. Without even picking it up, I know it will smell like a walk on the beach. I can hear the sea whooshing to shore and feel the cool sand beneath my feet. (The sand on Siesta Key Beach is cool.)

While visiting The Pottery Barn on Saturday, I saw a beautiful display of a large glass vase with sand, assorted seashells, blue soap petals and a few other things. If I had the money and the space, I would love to have things like that to inspire me for every book. I could have gotten lost in just staring at that vase while writing Hot Tropics & Cold Feet.

Certain pictures will do that for me too. You know, the kind of framed landscapes you feel you can step into and become a part of it all? Those kinds of things feed my senses and spark my creativity.

We all get bogged down with life stuff, and we have to work at feeding our creative side. I love to hear how other writers do it. Some of them work for me, some don’t.

We’ve talked about going to coffee shops and things like that to feed our creativity, but what other things feed your creative side? I have three weeks to finish my current book, so give me a shot in my creative arm, will ya?

Diann Hunt  
posted at 7:23 AM  
  Comments (6)
 
 
Delicious Delicious
6 Comments:
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diann,
I'm right up the road in Bradenton. Siesta is one of my favorite places. Hope you enjoy your time in Sarasota. I loved your lastest book. Congrats on the award and keep up the great work!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Thanks, Christy!

Lucky YOU to live so close to Siesta Key! WOW! What a GREAT place!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diann,
If you're still in town, I'd love to take you for a cup of coffee..or iced tea. If not, next time you're in the area. Hope you get many chances to come back again.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said...

Reading great fiction inspires me. I'm getting ready to read The Stand again. Reading Stephen King always makes me go back to my own writing and try to deepen the characterization.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

When I lived in upstate NY, north of Albany, I used to go over to Vermont, to a tiny town that I can't remember the name of, but it had a candle factory I loved to visit. They made the neatest candles and had such great prices, I bought everyone candles for Christmas for the 4 years we lived there. :o)

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Candles are great gifts, Ane! There was only one I had to get rid of. Mocha candle. Made me CRAVE mochas every time I burned it. LOL

Denise, you're right, songs are great creative devices, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Authors
Kristin Billerbeck
Kristin Billerbeck is a proud Californian, wife, mother of four, and connoisseur of the irrelevant. She writes Christian Chick Lit; where she finds need for most of the useless facts lulling about in her head.

www.KristinBillerbeck.com

Colleen Coble

Colleen Coble writes romantic suspense with a strong atmospheric element. A lovable animal of some kind--usually a dog--always populates her novels. She can be bribed with DeBrand mocha truffles.

www.ColleenCoble.com

Denise Hunter

Denise Hunter writes women's fiction and love stories with a strong emotional element. Her husband says he provides her with all her romantic material, but Denise insists a good imagination helps too.

www.DeniseHunterBooks.com

Diann Hunt

Diann Hunt writes romantic comedy and humorous women's fiction. She has been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, chocolate, her dog, and well, chocolate.

www.DiannHunt.com

Hannah Alexander

Cheryl Hodde writes romantic medical suspense under the pen name of Hannah Alexander, using all the input she can get from her husband, Mel, for the medical expertise. For fun she hikes and reads. Out of guilt, she rescues discarded cats. She and Mel are presently taking orders from four pampered strays.

www.HannahAlexander.com

 
Subscribe
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz